ad: cq2k-1

My Grandfather's station, K2ZBA Ed Stetzer, NY - SK 1988

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2ZBA, Aug 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2ZBA

K2ZBA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My grandfather became a silent key in 1988. I am new to Ham Radio and I now have his call sign. Does anybody know how I could track down any of his old equipment? He sold his station piecemeal when money became tight for him in the late 80s. I would love to buy something he used and incorporate it in my station. It would mean a lot to me.

His name was Edward Stetzer, QTH, Long Island, NY
    Thanks for reading this request.

Bill Stetzer
    K2ZBA

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Condolences.

Best bet would be go to the Long Island area Hamfests and look for any stuff with the Call Sign on stick on labels. Back that far there was no internet to research what he had for sale.

Another idea, find some of his old station photographs and see if you or someone else can Identify the equipment in the photos.
    Do you happen to have any old Log books, sometimes folks put notes there or on QSL cards of what radio they were using.

Best of luck.

Edward V. Stetzer, K2ZBA
    8 Laurel St
    Floral Park, NY 11001-2824

License Class: General
    License Issue Date: Jan 31 1984
    License Expiration Date: Jan 31 1994

Birth Date: Apr 20 1919

3. K5RT

K5RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Another suggestion is to visit the local clubs and introduce yourself. Maybe he was a member, or someone will remember him. Sadly, 1988 is quite awhile ago and there's been turn over in the hobby of course. Guys his age, or close to it are also probably SK.

Good Luck with your search and be sure to check back in and let's us know if you have any luck.

Vy 73
    Paul

4. K2ZBA

Great ideas. I'm gonna try to track down some photos and see if there are any log books. Maybe I can just find a QSL card he sent. I don't think I can get up there for a hamfest or club meetings (I live in NC), but I'm going to look up clubs in the area and email some members. I will definitely post what I find out.

K2HAT likes this.
  5. KI4FKW

KI4FKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck. Not ham - but my grandfather was in to CB back in the 70's and 80's when it was big. I have his CB in my station along with his QSL cards, club membership cards and some things with his FCC call sign written on them.

K2ZBA likes this.
  6. ZL2RVW

ZL2RVW Ham Member QRZ Page

K2ZBA likes this.
  7. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

It may be very hard to find his exact gear that he had.. 27 years is a long time. Perhaps if you track down if he was in any radio clubs someone there may know. Another suggestion would be to find any old photos.. identify what equipment he had (if you don't know.. post the photos here and we can help), and search for the same make/model to re-create the station he had.

8. KD2EDS

KD2EDS Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K2ZBA

I gave on on finding any of his equipment BUT I did find out what his station consisted of. I found him mentioned in an article in CQ Journal and it mentioned what he was running. I even found an article he wrote in 1981 and got a copy of that issue. It has been a fun search.

Happy Thankgiving all!!

M0LXQ and K2HAT like this.