My digital rant

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by MW6ZAN, Jun 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a 'no-code extra,' who learned code when I was a general, and quickly dropped it because I did not enjoy it.

I guess I was a 'heathen' who became a 'convert,' and I am now an 'apostate.'

AI7PM and KK4GGL like this.
  2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

You are certainly not talking to me as I am 60 years young who has kept up with technology as a professional. As for the respect, you have to give it before receiving it. Perhaps you ought to read the OP post and tell us where the respect was. . He got what he asked for.

3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yep. i agree, it is two way and the OP was silly in his approach... but the attitude you espoused is very typical of newly licensed amateurs. Saying it was from "the youth" was incorrect, it's from newly licensed hams to shun tradition and assume the 'old timers' (i consider myself an old timer despite being younger than most) look down on them.

You can keep up with technology - just as I have - without calling others 'dinosaurs' and telling them to 'get out of the way' if they dont share your own interests.

4. KZ4KX

KZ4KX Ham Member QRZ Page

I came in after so I guess I am a no coder. But I learned anyway. Felt I was missing something while listening in the lower portion of the bands. I also like digital. Made 143 contacts fd, 13 with psk , 1 with ft-8 and the rest with cw. I went to the phone portion but what a mess. Never keyed the mic. Hopefully next year I won't have to use 1d and can get out with with our local group.

W4NNF likes this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope you can do it...operating is just part of the fun of FD. :)

6. KZ4KX

KZ4KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. Awaiting a 3rd knee surgery so maybe by next year I can get out of the house. I also made 3 6m contacts so I guess I would be the only one in our group to try 6m.

W4NNF likes this.
  7. KI5X

KI5X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty sure you hit the OP's nail on the head. Most likely referring to DMR/DSTAR/C4FM - of which all 3 are actually "very good" DV protocols. The issues with these DV modes are that in their "Internet" state, they tend to get bastardized, cross-coded, cross-coded again, etc. until every last bit of fidelity is gone and everyone sounds like duck-quacks. Zumspots, OpenSpots, gateways, reflectors, <YulBrenner>"et-cetera, et-cetera, et-cetera"</YulBrenner> all pollute the pool.

8. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I cannot speak to D-STAR as I have never used it or even seriously looked into it, but DMR and C4FM provide the possibility of 1:1 over great distances and many hops. Even hotspots that transcode 'cross-mode' (C4FM<>DMR) are not 're-encoding,' merely changing the container. This is verifiable in that hotspots and reflectors do not have AMBE chips. They are actually incapable of either decoding or encoding the audio; they simply pass on what they receive.

Errors in these modes are most commonly due to one or all of three things (most common to least common): poor RF signal at one end or the other, much too high or variable latency on the internet connection (required bandwidth is extremely low), or not enough available processing power in the hotspot.

Reflectors can occasionally be the problem. If someone runs a reflector on a 10-year-old computer at his house through a DSL internet connection, then problems are guaranteed. This is quite uncommon. I host mine on a linux server on AWS and have never had a problem.

It should be apparent by now that just like with any other mode in amateur radio, if an op neglects the details and simply charges ahead, problems can result.

KI5X and W4NNF like this.