My digital rant

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by MW6ZAN, Jun 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't doubt it one bit, and I don't need any convincing of the advantages and joys of CW.
    Look deep inside yourselves, not yourself personally, but the CW fraternity. The abuse FT8 users are currently subject to has been going on far longer against no-coders, albeit in a less vicious way, due to the length of time it has been going on.

There are 'problem' no-coders out there, but CW aficionados suffer from some of the same ills 'True Blue DXers' do. There are legitimate reasons for a ham not to use CW, even if only personal preferences are involved.

Most people do not take kindly being abused, and some of them will hit back. If you can't bring them around, just let it be. Live and let live.

The silliness that I see against no-coders, even if only 'innocent' message taglines, are really a perpetuation of the 'bad blood'.

WU8Y likes this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Hear hear, mate! My grandkids love digital! Here they encode a digital message to send over the air for me....

playing-with-pots-and-pans.jpg

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

PAN-PAN-PAN! :eek:

W4RAV and W7UUU like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What "no-coder" means is someone who didn't have to pass the code test to obtain their license. Including the many good ops you hear on the CW segments...who learned the code because they wanted to, not because they had to...

As for the current boo-hoo-hoo over the supposedly evil FT8? As has been said many times, it's nothing new.

Spark users said it about CW...CW ops said it about AM...AM men said it about SSB...SSB operators said it about FM...and on and on and on and on.

I guess it does keep the Art interesting. If we all just hung out on the Zed singing Kumbaya, it would be pretty darned boring. :)

KZ4KX and KQ0J like this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

My no-coder, without quotes, meant those that do not use CW, but you are right.

6. MW6ZAN

MW6ZAN Ham Member QRZ Page

O dear is that the best you can come up with G0 JUR Keep it up you know you want to.✌peace 73

7. MW6ZAN

MW6ZAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree but please keep the digital noise off analogue bands, I'm sure specific digital stand alone frequencies could be implemented within the radio ham bands to cater for computer to computer sorry I mean digital ham broadcast computer equipments communications.✌peace 73

KI4AX likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, hope that works out for you on the "analog bands." :rolleyes:

WU8Y likes this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to be able to use as many modes as possible because I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to work a DXCC entity on a need band because I don't use the mode they are using. My one and only contact with Macquarie Isl. was on PSK31 in 2011, and had I not been capable of that mode I would have missed out because that was the only station in operation on Macquarie at the time and the only mode that Trevor was operating.

But when I hear the virtues of the latest digital modes touted all I can say is that if it helps me add to my primary ham radio interest (DXing) then I'm all for it. I know that CW can do it better, faster and under just as weak signal conditions, but the number of good CW operators is dwindling. In another thread it was reported that an FT8 Field Day op was logging 20 QSO per hour on average. I only worked 40 minutes during FD and logged 48 QSO's on 40 CW. I considered that rate a little slow because a higher percentage of FD CW ops are not regular contesters and are on average a little slower.

As WSJT updates are made I will keep up to speed with them, as well as what every else comes down the pike. Not because they are better modes or that I am helping advance technology. But because future DXpeditions will use them more and more because IMHO it will be the only chance that a growing number of hams will even have a shot a making the contact. The time the DX stations spends on the digital modes will be taken from the time they could have spent on CW on the same band. So by necessity for me, I'll keep current.

10. AK7AN

AK7AN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know what is so great about this hobby?
    There are so many avenues to explore and try until you find something you really enjoy doing. Then pursuing that aspect of the hobby with others that enjoy the same thing and making QSO's.

You know what isn't so great about this hobby?
    People that don't want to explore new avenues, or even make an attempt to find out what they are, then criticize and make fun of the new modes and the people who do enjoy them.

I do enjoy the digital modes. I started with PSK31 and now work FT8, and will probably use the next great mode that shows up, engineered and invented by a Radio Amateur. I also enjoy SSB and have QSO's with a group of friends on a regular basis.

Whatever you do to enjoy Amateur Radio do it!!!
    Whatever it is that you think you don't like about Amateur Radio, just live and let live..

Ed
    AK7AN