My digital rant

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by MW6ZAN, Jun 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

So much for parents teaching children to be respectful of others or your elders.

WA5VGO, KI4AX and K4AGO like this.
  2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah us progressive Baby Boomers Hippies got that started telling the brutal truth.

KN4SKF, NE1U and K4AGO like this.
  3. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Spark makes too much static and noise. Why don't we bring back smoke signals? Tonto might be the next Gordon West and teach us all to send and receive. The Comanche's could change their name to W5YI war party.

I haven't danced around a camp fire lately. Not sure my heart would stand the pile up.

Smoke signals; those were the golden days of ham radio.
    John
    K4AGO

4. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

If disrespect was an art form, he'd be Rembrandt.

I can send and receive CW at > 30 wpm. Bet ya he cant copy CW at 5 wpm.
    John
    K4AGO

KI4AX and K1VSK like this.
  5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't invent the radio, or SSB, but I use them. Others have built on that. Using them and experimenting is "experimentation", to me. I have used WSPR to investigate what is possible with my system, and my antennas using 1mW, with other, like minded hams.

Ham radio is what you make it. I have used FT8, PSK-31, had DV QSO's on HF, used ALE, etc. . For some, checking into 80M nets and discussing their medical issues seem about all they can do, which is fine. :p

What these things mean to me are just that.

6. K1VSK

You use radios just as the 80M (I suspect you meant 75) net guys do, the distinction only being to what purpose - neither seem advancing the ‘art’, whatever that means.

Bottom line - rationalizing can be an ‘art’ form.

7. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

Was the OP referring to FT8, or to DV? I've tried DMR but can't get my ears to adjust to the 'different' audio sound. Possibly the youngsters brought up with mobile phones are happier with it because they've always been used to a silent background with varying audio quality whereas I've had almost 50 years of my brain listening to constant audio quality and varying levels of noise.

But w/e, I tried it & didn't like it so I'm back to being a CW dinosaur. Its actually quite nice being a dinosaur. Knee-deep in a nice warm swamp. Atmospheric oxygen at high levels, loads of lush vegetation within reach, and just lately there's been this light in the sky that has gradually been getting brighter and brighter each year. What could possibly go wro.....

> # error
    > connection terminated
    > sys

WU8Y, KI5X, KI4AX and 4 others like this.
  8. K1VSK

Arrogance isn’t a virtue.

WA5VGO and KI4AX like this.
  9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, 75M.

But folks like Joe Taylor, Dave Rowe, and Peter Martinez HAVE advanced the radio art, IMHO. YMMV.

The rise of SSB in the late 40's and 50's had the old school complaining about "Donald Duck", and the new SSB users complaining about "Ancient Modulation". Kinda like today, right here. :D

10. K1VSK

No doubt some have advanced the technology we use, however, all I tried to express is that simply using modes like FT8, as you implied, advances nothing. And arguably some forms of communications detract from the ‘art’.