My digital rant

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by MW6ZAN, Jun 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. MW6ZAN

MW6ZAN Ham Member QRZ Page

What is it with this unsavoury din that seems to be spreading through the radio amateur hobby, i refure to the DIGITAL virus a cacophonous iritable tinny ear crippling rasping that's driving me and many sane radio enthusiasts to destraction. One only has to briefly listen into the likes of gw3we to form an instant dislike to the low audio tinny non coherent garbage spewed by radio amateurs, on there nexy best thing to sliced bread digital kit, but if they actually heard there out going signal, would deem the expensive must have modern kit as totally useless and bin it. Some advances within the hobby have been a good thing but unfortunately digital is not one of them. In fact listening into the vhf uhf bands the activity is almost zero. Funny thing is band use on the digital frequencies is also dropping off o well it was fun while it lasted. 73

AD5HR likes this.
  2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

The same complaints were voiced when SSB was gaining popularity. Two of the tenets of amateur radio are experimentation and advancing the radio art. Can't do that be doing the same things forever.

AI7PM and NE1U like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The good part about digital modes is you don't need to listen to the signals, your computer can handle that for you.

W4RAV likes this.
  4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel for you. Since torture was outlawed, nothing like this has been used to violate one's human rights. But there is hope. Here is how to proceed. Should be a sticky, since calls for help come up at regular intervals:

https://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/ComplaintProcedure/Pages/HRCComplaintProcedureIndex.aspx

To sit on the FT8 frequencies, with volume up when not using FT8, can only be described as masochism. The only reasonable explanation for doing it is if your TRX is rockbound, if so, order another crystal. If money is the issue, create a go-fund-me page, and I'll be the first to donate a couple of bucks.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    AA7QQ likes this.
  5. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Your computer can "work" my computer while I keep an eye
    on the BBQ pit. What fun! <sarcasm>

AI7PM, KI4AX, NE1U and 2 others like this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Let’s just bring back King Spark and be done with it.

/sarcasm

Sheesh.

7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="KV6O, post: 5106921, member: 36823"Two of the tenets of amateur radio are experimentation and advancing the radio art. [/QUOTE]
    I've seen this claim before -precisely how does using a computer built by someone else and a program invented by someone else to control your radio "advance the art" or constitute "experimentation"?

For extra bonus points, what is artful about it?

While complaining about digital modes serves no purpose, justifying the mode with dubious claims just seems silly.

K3UJ likes this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The "fun" part is all that counts.

KK4GGL likes this.
  9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Joking aside, isn't that what a hobby should be about? If, for whatever reason, one is not having fun, why stay with it?

Find a niche, and go your own way. Who cares how other people are having fun. The problem is that some people have tunnel vision, and think hamradio should be the same thing for everbody, it's not.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    W4RAV likes this.
  10. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Because you are an old fossil in a dying hobby and fail to realize/understand to attract youth requires digital and change. Get out of the way.

W4RAV, AI7PM, AK7AN and 1 other person like this.