My Crank-Up, Fold-Over Tower on a Trailer

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by WA4BRL, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member

I bought this beauty from Clint, W3ARS in Shelby NC. He is a regular at most east coast and central states hamfests selling "Poles and Things" (HERE'S HIS WEBSITE), surplus military camo support poles as antenna supports. He has both aluminum and fiberglass poles. At the Shelby Hamfest last Labor Day, he had one of these trailers on display at his booth.

This thing is a heavy duty frame supporting a 35' crank-up tilt-over tower. It was originally a military light tower, similar to the ones you see on highway repair projects going on overnight. It once had a big generator, a big electrical control box, and multiple kilowatt lamps (all now removed). But it did NOT originally come with the axle, wheels, or outrigger supports. It was built as a skid to be moved about by a big forklift. Clint says he got these things in as military surplus and that he and a friend worked up the additions and welded them together. They did a good job of it too.

We arrived at a satisfactory deal and drove down to Shelby and picked it up a few weeks before Dayton. Now I'm building a HexBeam to go on top. This is my answer to a property deed restriction that precludes any PERMANENT structures to support amateur radio antennas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a mast mounted on the tower, I'll have the base of my HexBeam up at about 45 feet I can't wait!

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

Good deal.

I hope the HOA Nazis or whomever don't find some other problem with it.

Some of the By-Laws and restrictions I've read imply they could come up with almost anything as "Disturbing the Peace" or a dozen other issues to argue about.

Hope there isn't one that prohibits parking trailers, for example.;)

Good luck and let's hear you on the air!

3. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member

Well I'm fortunate in that there is no HOA, only this one restriction recorded with the deed. Wire antennas in the trees are OK. So I'll have my beam and enjoy some f/b ratio and a bit of gain too.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

That's fantastic!

It's also the only time in my life I've ever heard of exactly one recorded deed restriction! That's pretty amazing.

Have fun with it!

5. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member

Wow, that aught to cause some anguish.

Do you need to guy that? 45' is a lot of rise. I can't imagine that thing standing up in a 45 mph wind, but what a nice portable mast, indeed a great idea. I've thought about converting a smaller commercial light trailer in a similar way.

6. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member

A HexBeam is pretty lightweight, low wind load, and well balanced. One might get away without guys, but I plan to guy at two levels regardless.

7. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member

The HOA answer will be that you cannot have a utility or equipment trailer parked in the open on your lawn or in your driveway...

8. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

I have a friend that has a HOA also that is very strict as in none. He raises his just after dark motorized and lowers when shutting down. He works a 9-5 but would like to be able play radio on weekends for some areas that aren't open on the low bands to him.

I 'm glad that I live in the country on a farm even before I became a ham. If I would have known then what would come could have chosen a better location.

9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

That is very nicely done!!! I need a Tow Hitch on my Town Car so I can make up a nice trailer like that! I have seen some that have a generator built in too, to run a motorized antenna raiser and then serve as Field Day power too. Very very nice, Steve! What an excellent tower trailer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.