ad: elecraft

My converter collection

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by K9STH, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

Glen, you have too much time on your hands!

I loved the Tecraft Criterion and Parks converters back in the day (60s).

But when Bob Larkin W2CLL/W7PUA started making "JANEL" Labs converters in NJ back in the 70s, they blew everything else out of the water. Better "everything" including image rejection and overload immunity, all solid state, built-in AC power supplies. Just perfect. Bob was my neighbor back then and I spent many interesting hours in his basement lab (very well equipped!).

My "most interesting" converter (which is long gone) was a W2AZL 417A (tube) converter for 2m, with a W2AZL 416B preamp, also for 2m, and both built by Carl himself (W2AZL). They were wizardry in the 60s, although I think he built them in the 50s.

3. K1KW

K1KW Subscriber

Any Tunaverters? I always wanted to get one but they seem to be rather scarce! I'd love to locate the SWL version that covers some of the HF shortwave broadcast bands.

Chuck, K1KW

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member

KW:

No "Tunaverters". Somewhere, maybe up in the attic, I may have an old Gonset "Tri-band" converter.

A couple of times in the CX Exchange I have used the Stewart-Warner converter into a Crosley 51 as a receiver.

Glen, K9STH

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Just think Steve; in a few years you will have too much time on your hands :)

6. WB2WIK

I hope I even still have hands.

7. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member

Glen you are missing the good old Regency ATC-1 ... bought one used imn 1963 and drove cross country from Idaho to SC (in the AF) and listened to many conversations. Even heard my Okinawan station (KR6AF) running phone patches with K7LJA in AZ. Could not hear AZ however. 20 wss too long at that time of the evening. Would like to find one now ... but no go.

http://transistorhistory.50webs.com/regencyAT1.html

8. WB2WIK

I had an Ameco converter in the 60s, in my first car (POS 1961 Valiant!) that would convert the SW BC bands to the AM BC band and I could hear "Radio Moscow" everywhere. Just like at home.:p

But it's amazing how much you can pick up with a 3' whip on a car. A lot of SW BC stations run millions of Watts e.r.p., so much power they can open a closed band.

9. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member

LPQ:

I have only seen 1, or maybe 2, of the Regency converters. I always liked the magnifying dial!

Glen, K9STH

10. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member

I have one of those little Gonset converters up in the attic somewhere. Never got around to building a power supply for it, though.

I can remember the little Multi-Elmac shortwave converter that was supposed to be used with an automobile radio, to provide the receive capabilities for the AF-67 and later the AF-68 transmitters. Have you ever had one of those ?

11. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member

Don't have any Multi Elmac converters. They sold the PMR- series of receivers to be used with the various transmitters. The PMR-6 series was the matching receiver for the A-54 series transmitters, the PMR-7 was the matching receiver for the AF-67, and the PMR-8 was the matching receiver for the AF-68.

Gonset was, by far, the most prolific manufacturers of converters for mobile operation.

Glen, K9STH

12. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member

OK, I honestly don't know, Glen. Were the Elmac receivers a complete receiver, or just a converter like the Gonset sets? If they were a complete receiver, were they capable of CW/SSB reception ?

13. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member

I've had several Ameco VHF converters in my time. Nuvistors rock!

Eric

14. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber

My best buddy used the Ameco converters on 2 meters, and those RME's are familiar from somewhere, too. I built the nuvistor converter from the ARRL Handbook in 1966, and yes, nuvistors do rock.

My favorite converter setup was a simple converter that converted several ham bands down to a common IF frequency, using only one crystal. My dad and I built one to create a CW mobile rig for HF. The transmitter was a Viking Mobile with VFO, the receiver was this multiband converter with a Command Set receiver as the IF. The whole thing was powered from a Heathkit mobile power supply. It worked very well. The whole thing was bolted to the front of the engine housing between the front seats of our family's Dodge van. The engine housing was a great place to put the key.

15. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member

3Y:

All of the PMR- series RME units were complete receivers with BFO, noise blanker, over 3 watts rated audio output, etc. They were supposedly the equivalent of the Gonset G-66- series receivers. I have never owned any of the RME PMR- receivers but I do have a Gonset G-66B receiver.

Glen, K9STH

16. WA3UCR

WA3UCR Ham Member

Yep, they sure were. I had a Super 6 back in the 70's. I got it for almost nothing at a local hamfest and used it to listen to the Am'ers in my garage with a recycled car radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.