ad: davisrf

My condolences to the families in Connecticut

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by N1JBS, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
  1. N1JBS

N1JBS Ham Member QRZ Page

2. M3KXZ

M3KXZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mental, just mental.

3. KW4MW

KW4MW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I speak for most of us tonight. We are still in shock and trying to absorb what happened. My wife and most of my neighbor ladies said that they had to turn off the TV because they couldn't bear to watch anything about kids being murdered. I'm not too far away from there myself, I turned to the online sources for the news.

Needless to say the news channels are giving the incident 99% of their attention. One twit even wondered if the school would be opened Monday.

Senseless, simply senseless - those poor poor kids, including the ones who escaped, they will be traumatized for the rest of their lives.

What can you do? What can you say? The healing by the tincture of time will be long and slow.

I offer prayers - that's all I can do. ..mike

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just cannot bear to think about this horrid story. Those poor children - what the last moments of their
    short little lives were. I don't choke up easily - but this one does it for me. Went to Temple Service tonight
    at my synagogue for the first time in a long time.... not that it matters much. But I just ACHE for those
    little boys and girls and what they went through. OMG.... it's just so awful.

I just don't get it. I never will. Yes, my heart goes out big time tonight to those families. And to all
    the families of children at that school that DIDN'T die today.... that's a life-changing moment too.'
    The hugs in THOSE families are big tonight....

It all just makes me sooooo sad I really don't have better words just now.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's no single magic thing that will prevent this. Somewhere there's always a weak spot and it'll get exploited by someone with an unbalanced mental capacity or with an agenda. In Connecticut there are not large numbers of people walking around with firearms in public view. Don't yet know if this deranged person had it in plain sight. Even if he had would somebody have stopped him before tragedy struck? Would there had an exchange of fire outside the school? Would the authorities have arrived in time to confront him? Cannot imagine what the thought process was in killing children. Perhaps there were some suppressed memories of days long ago that finally surfaced. We will never really know for sure. This is beyond sad...can't really comprehend what has happened just yet.
    Gary

6. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was growing up, there wasn't any school shootings. NOT ONE!!
    But then there was kids getting paddled when they needed it, and parents were spanking their kids at home too. Kids were taught solid principals, values, morals and ethics because the parents were taught solid principals, values, morals and ethics. I say ,,,,

IT'S TIME TO BRING BACK RAISING KIDS THE WAY OUR GRANDPARENTS WERE RAISED

But of course that's not possible because lots of people don't have the foggiest idea what quality principals and ethics are because their parents weren't taught any and don't have any idea what people in the 30's and 40's were taught with solid principals and values.

I know of a kid,,,well, he's an adult now, and his parents smoked pot and just let their kids think and believe what they wanted, and this guy has been in jail 3 times for stealing and drugs. So it's too late to teach him now. That's what his parents were suppose to do. So people now days don't have any kind of foundation of what a person is suppose to think or believe. What they think is right, but it's wrong.

And what I just said isn't exactly right with this guy that did the shooting either because his mom was a professional and was a teacher, so she should have had some good principals and values to teach her children you would think. But maybe she obeyed the law and didn't spank her children when they needed it. See, now days it isn't going to work even though you go by the law because the law says, ''Don't spank your children'' And even the Bible says, ''Spare the Rod and Spoil The Child'' And it's proving EXACTLY CORRECT

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  7. M3KXZ

M3KXZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Heard this morning that the fella was autistic. Not sure that a good spanking would have done anything to change him. Back in the good old 30s and 40s he would have been locked up in a mental home. Stupid mother making it possible for her autistic son to get hold of her three guns!

8. G4OTU

G4OTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Altho' I do not agree with US gun laws- they are far too easy-going, I doubt very much if stricter controlds would make any difference.

Our gun laws were already much tighter than the USA but that did not stop the Dunblaine school massacre.Further tightening of the law has made little difference to gun crime here.

The problems seem to be more at the level of recognising mental problems and dealing with or containing them by whatever means necessary to protect the public.

9. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no children, and I also find I have no words.

K2WH

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have to agree....

11. N1JBS

I have removed my avatar to show support for these families.

12. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ehhhh, I dunno bout that. There are records out there dating from 1902. There are even un-confirmed statistics from U.S. schools dating back to the 1860s. Heck, I'm sure you were around during the Texas Clock tower days.

And statistically, the peak for student fatalities peaked in 1993, with 42 children being killed by violence in schools. As absolutely abhorrent as the situations are now, technically, the schools are safer than they were in 93'.

As for the rest of your post, I agree %100. Even when I was in school (not that long ago), we carried guns to school and had target practice in the downstairs gym. I figure that the difference is, my generation was the last where parents would whoop our butts.

The current situation in CT is more than a lot of folks can stand. Very very sad, twisted day.

Brad

13. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

My thoughts and prayers go out to all.

14. N1JBS

What I'm worried about is a knee jerk reaction to limit firearms in general.

A gunsafe would be a good idea to have, as the owner of a firearm is responsible for it's use / misuse. Because we do not know

if a gunsafe was in the home or not, it's hard to judge as to how the gun(s) were stored.

15. KC9SYJ

KC9SYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Prayers go out to those who lost their children and other loved ones in this tragedy! Very sad day in our nation yesterday!

16. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

Besides spankings we were taught how to handle a gun and weren't allowed to use a gun until we knew how to safely and properly handle one.

17. KW4MW

KW4MW Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys and gals - can we get back to the subject of this thread and simply offer our thoughts, prayers and condolences to those families in Conn. and take the gun control, child control issues to another thread?

Thanks ..

18. N1JBS

The Moderators can lock or delete this thread as they see fit. I apologize to any if I started the wrong thread.

I will now limit my time here, as I guess I have hit a sore spot with someone.

19. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

JBS,

Nothing wrong with this thread -- and I've just reviewed it from top to bottom, again.

You might notice that this is the only thread on the subject still standing.

Bill, K7JBQ
    One of the QRZ.com moderators

20. K6BBC

K6BBC Super Moderator QRZ Page

In principle there is nothing wrong with the thread in the same way throwing red meat at a lion is a technique to turn him into a vegetarian.

bbc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.