My Antenna Plan

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N7TGC, Mar 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N7TGC

N7TGC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok.. so in a couple of weeks, I'll be making the dive into HF for the first time. (Passed my General on the 11th)

After some research for my very antenna restricted townhouse community, I've decided on a myantennas.com 8010 EFHW antenna. So, 130' of wire total.

Using pythagorean theorem, I believe I'll need about 112' of space (40' high mid point and 7' high on each end) for an inverted V configuration. The 'V' will have a little bend in it which I believe is ok. (Each leg of the V will be about 65' long)

Attached is a picture of my plan. Any issues? Performance opinions?

PS. I CANNOT leave an antenna up permanently under any circumstances. I will put this up each time I operate. The 40' center point will be supported by a push up fiberglass pole for ease of install. Gotta do what I gotta do :)
    [​IMG]

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

Is the blue dot the intended feed point?

3. N7TGC

Umm nope.. I'm really not sure where that came from. The feed point is the end point closest to the QTH.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd do ANYTHING possible to make the antenna "invisible" enough it could remain installed all the time.

Thinking you'll just put it up when operating then take it down is usually a pipe dream unless you have an awful lot of time on your hands.

I'd rather have an STL nobody could see and just leave it there permanently than have a big inverted vee I had to put up and take down every day...that would get old after about three days.:p

NH7RO and WA7PRC like this.
  5. N7TGC

Well, two things... #1. Permanent is not possible #2. I have an awful lot of time on my hands. I'm legally blind and, therefore, permanently disabled.

I had 2 strokes that took most of my peripheral vision in 2015 (I see like looking through large straws).. it's been quite an adjustment and ham radio is kinda my answer to the doctors and my wife's instructions to 'find something to do.' Putting up the antenna will help keep me moving (again - Drs and Wife)

So, ya know... would you like to chime in on the performance of the layout or any issues regarding the layout I've asked about?

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

Will you have a ground rod installed near the antenna feed point?

7. N7TGC

I can put one in if necessary. I'd considered it but wasn't sure if a ground rod was necessary or a simple 8' ground wire to a 10" stake would be sufficient since it would be going up and down every day. Thoughts?

8. WB2WIK

The layout looks fine to me.

I know about the kind of sight problems you have encountered, I know some others locally with a similar problem; evidently, it's not that rare.

The "issue" is, unless you can adhere to a rigorous self-imposed schedule, you never know when you want to operate. Bands can be open during the day, or open at night, or open both day and night, or occasionally not really open at all. So, you could spend 15 mins erecting the antenna to find absolutely nothing to work, or have the antenna down when the bands are wide open and you wish it was up.

HOA restrictions suck, and of course most hams wish they weren't in one and likely wouldn't buy into one; however of course many already live in one and then become hams later, once that decision's already been made.

You might try leaving it up sometimes when you're not operating and see who, if anyone, complains about it. Paint the mast in camo colors and use dark colored insulated wire, and it's possible nobody will notice it.

NH7RO likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

Nope.

For one thing, the national electrical code dictates that ANY electrical cable entering the residence must be grounded outside, at the cable entry point. If your HOA happened to have an electrician, electrical contractor, electrical inspector or safety inspector on the Board (I have no clue) and they see a cable entering the home that isn't grounded, that could be a problem.

The ground, by code, should be bonded to the electrical utility ground (the ground point that your electrical service panel uses). There are valid reasons for that, which you can research. For this reason, I think it's always "easiest" (if possible) to bring in extra cables right by the service panel, so it's easy to tie them to that point. If you have cable TV or a satellite dish, you'll note the installer added a ground to the cable, usually via a "ground block" with F connectors on it, and that should be tied to the service panel ground. Even telephone lines, if you have any, pass through a ground block/lightning arrestor on the way in. Since the twisted pairs cannot be directly grounded, usually the messenger wire is and the active lines go through a replaceable arrestor.

A way around the rule would be to make it all "temporary," similar to using an outdoor power extension cord which doesn't need to meet code as long as it's temporary and pulled inside or unplugged after use. You might be able to do the same thing with your coax. But if the coax is routed from outside to inside via a more permanent method, it's supposed to be grounded.

I live in a place where lightning never happens (in 29 years I've never seen lightning here) so I do this only to abide by the code. The odds of my taking a lightning strike are evidently about the same as winning the lottery. But the code demands it, so I follow it.

KC8VWM and NH7RO like this.
  10. N7TGC

Well, again, nothing in my installation is going to be permanent. AT ALL. It'll all be put up when I'm operating and taken down when I'm finished for the day/night. Including the coax. Thanks for the code clarity though.