ad: NI4L-2

My amateur radio turns on neighbors night light built into bed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3EPA, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I think you misunderstand something.

Ignoring the problem is not my view either, but what are you supposed to do if the neighbor you're tying to deal with and explain things to is a loudmouth ranting psycho path who doesn't listen to reason?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Home owners don't do this much anymore but for a ham operator that wants to install an antenna, its important to get to know your neighbors right away. Establish a relationship before the antennas goes up. Tell them about your hobby and work out any issues up front. If the neighbor is a ranting psycho path, you will already know that and plan accordingly. That means you have much bigger hill to climb. I agree. Aside from being pro active and prudent if you are going to put up an antenna and transmit RF you have more of a duty to get to know the neighbors than a regular Joe. In my view that is one of the unwritten obligations in operating a ham radio station in a neighborhood where others are carrying on more normal activities of home ownership. Luck may have been on my side but I never had to deal with that type of person in my neighborhood. I think it is rare. Now since I live out a ways I have 3 neighbors and we are all friends.

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

I don't have any problems here though. I live in an area with not many people around and I have a big backyard...

MVC-004F-5.jpg

WA4KCN likes this.
  4. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ignoring anything can lead to disaster
    I have known him for 25 years
    He did apologize.
    He still remembers me giving his father CPR and letting him stay at my house after he had a kitchen fire.

Even though one never knows
    Who knew he would act as he did
    I have violated no FCC rules and did not correct his garbage which is akin to contributory negligence.

I am glad I did not have a stealth antenna as many HOA residents have.
    I could place my antenna in my bedroom with split loft and use my big bass bed as a possible ground plane.
    I do not because my walls that sheath the house is 3 inch foam with an aluminum breathing and would maybe be like a faraway cage.
    Then again it may work since the roof is 30 by 30 .

I think I will move car around corner and out of sight.
    I only seems to bother him at night and 20 meters sucks at nite.

But I will stay wary.
    One never knows and your insight is right on spot.

WZ7U likes this.
  5. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I need to kill auto correct spelling on this galaxy.

W4IOA and WZ7U like this.
  6. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got it :)

7. W5TTW

W5TTW Ham Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do us all a favor and don't offer to pay/buy things for complaining neighbors. We're already restricted out the wazoo. If you are operating legally, the problem is on his his side of the fence.

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

You're one of the lucky ones. Best of luck. ;)

9. KC8VWM

There was a point in time where I would have disagreed with this philosophy. Unfortunately today is not that day.

10. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Loved that one Glen! I'll bet you were on 40...right? 15 would have been worse. Thank goodness for DTV! Just shows the crying need some folks have for their beloved TVs.I worked in the business all my life and have to agree with former FCC Chief Newton Minnow..."It's a vast wasteland!" BTW, long live popcorn...now produced by microwave ovens that can cause RFI to your ham station! LOL