ad: elecraft

Multiple Monitor video card recommendations...

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KD4MOJ, Aug 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the need now for a 4 monitor setup... so I need some recommendations from anyone on the Zed on a "cheap" (not gaming) video card that will support 4 monitors. I've been with Ms. Google for the last week researching and reading reviews but my head is still spinning. The card will be installed in a Win10 box.

I don't have the monitors yet so I don't know if they are going to have Display Port, HDMI, DVI etc. connectors. I figured that most recent displays have at least two of the connector types and most cards that I have seen support 2 or more types.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

2. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Doug,

I use a card with the Nvida GE Force 8400GS chip. On most sites, they offer a fanless heatsink or powered fan version of the card for cooling options.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KABG18/

It has HDMI, DVI and VGA...counting your current card, that makes 4 video ports.

KB3VWG

3. KD4MOJ

Thanks. That is the definition of cheap for sure! I'm currently reading the comments on it. Seems to be a card that has been around for some time.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What ever you get, You should make sure it has Microsoft Signed drivers.

Good Luck, Enjoy.

5. KD4MOJ

Yep haven't thought about the driver issue. A friend of mine just gave me a card (PCI = old) that says Predator LT 4. Found a driver for Win95 - XP. So i'll ire up the ole XP box and see if this card is any good. Would be limited to VGA only... bummer.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

6. KA9JLM

Driver limitations would be my concern.

I heard that the New Intel Gen 7 chip is made for Microsoft. Guess what OS only works with it ?

I have been a Genuine Intel user for many years. MS too. I lost trust in both companies now.

My 7 box could run maybe 8 monitors without much video lag, I think it has a limit of 16 max.

Running Win 10 would require more power, So that it can make thumbs of all of your media files and upload them to the cloud. :eek:

What type of open slots does your motherboard have ?

It seems like HDMI is the new in and includes the audio channels.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  7. KD4MOJ

I'm beginning to rethink my installation. The Win10 machine is really too beefy for what my mission is. It's a HP Z800 Workstation with 2 Xeon E5620 Quad core processors and 96GB of RAM which is used for video editing, digital modes and some other CPU/RAM intensive applications.

Basically I'm upgrading my trading platform (stocks) from 1 monitor to 4 which almost is a must. So I think I might be staying with a Win7 box for this. Decisions.... decisions.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

8. KA9JLM

I like the ASUS hardware because it has few limits.

It sounds like you are doing some serious video rendering. :)

Have Fun.

9. KD4MOJ

Thanks much... I'll post which ever route I take...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

10. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

You haven't mentioned what you're going to be doing with the machine, but one thing to consider is that there is a certain set of software that will offload its processing onto the video card, if capable. Video editors, encoders, even one SDR application will use Nvidia's Cuda cores for processing. If your applications are among this set, might want to consider a video card with more core capabilities.

I am using a GeForce 1080 with Windows 10 in a virtual machine. Offloading processing to the video card allows me to look at a full 10MHz bandwidth with SDR-Console v3. It helps, a lot. Without the off-loading to the video card, the widest bandwidth I can process is 2MHz.