Mt Athos

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WM3O, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A friend worked him then K0AZ on CW.

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Good, that will be one less guy in the pileup the next time he is on the air.
    All the spots were from eastern US. It was too early in the day for around here.

3. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

OT: I really don't understand how Apollo finds time to operate. Roman Catholic monastics (like Benedictines) take at least six hours each day to hear Mass and sing all their prayers. The Greek Orthodox monks take even longer. Combine prayers with work and meals, and I just don't see how any monk would find the time to operate ham radio. He probably has a dispensation from the abbot (head of the monastery) to take time out to get on air from time to time.

73, Jordan

4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Athonite monks have the strictest lifestyle among the Orthodox (the Russian Optina monks might argue this LOL) No doubt he has a dispensation from his abbot and his spiritual father. The amount of services he attends daily (Orthros, Divine Liturgy, Vespers, Complines) plus the addition of his prayer rule and work responsibilities means that he most likely gives up sleep (what little he gets) to get on the air or uses the little spare time he is allowed during the feast days. I have a greater chance of hearing him by going on a pilgrimage to Mt Athos than over the radio. But I can always hope.

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish he would let someone go there for a DXpedition. really need to get this entity on the air in MASS!

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the Abbots of Mt Athos ( 20 monasteries) that would approve or disapprove. Since it is a holy mountain and it's purpose is for prayer, reflection, and repentance, a dxpedition would be outside the acceptable unless a group of Orthodox pilgrims could gain permission. My thoughts would be that it would be too distracting to the general life of the monks. But who knows, CBS was invited there and had a special on 60 minutes last year.

7. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe a pilgrimage would be a good idea.

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I am Catholic and would go on a PILGRAMIGE! Go to Mass each day and such. Just as long as I can operate the radio QUIETLY WITH HEADPHONES when I am not in church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.