ad: elecraft

Mt Athos

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WM3O, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

Mt Athos was on 20m SSB yet i could barely hear him above the noise. since i couldn't work the monk, i worked an Albanian who was running 100w into a dipole who was easily 20dB above the noise floor. does the dear monk run QRP or use a random wire and a tuner with 10 watts? an Albanian had a better signal, an Albanian.

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a video out showing that he has a tribander similar to a Cushcrudd A-3S. Which side of the mountain is on is unknown. He might be looking right into the mountain to work stateside! I don't know which radio he has, but he doesn't have an amp. But he does have a computer of sorts because he does alotta RTTY. I have heard him ONCE in my life, on 10M SSB when we had a SUPER band openning to EU, and the whole country was calling him. BIGGEST Pileup in the History of Ham Radio. Needless to say, I didn't make the log! Seems the best chance for ANYONE to work him is to just BE THERE before he gets spotted on the Cluster. He has irregular operating times and chooses different bands and modes depending on how he feels, so you just have to get LUCKY! VERY VERY LUCKY!!!! And for a 6, it would take an ACT OF GOD to work him!

3. KD8FYI

KD8FYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I just worked Belgium while I was looking for Mt. Athos. I've worked most of Europe but I think Belgium might be a new one. Never worked Mt. Athos but I've worked the Vatican a couple of times. I usually get petty strong signals out of Eastern Europe including Albania. They must be well with in my skip zone.

73 and good DX!
    Ed

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

[video=youtube;RsyrW7CT1Aw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsyrW7CT1Aw[/video]

5. UA6JD

UA6JD Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Appolo have a mountains in the east and blocking signal beaming east. I had a several QSL from another DXpeditions to Mt.Athos CW/SSB, but hunting for him on RTTY few years and once get him before somebody spoted him. By the way Appolo asking "Please no spots" to give a chance for guys who real copy him. He operated mostly in Ortadox holiday .
    He is good QSLed (no IRC - 2$ is OK) very fast

[​IMG]

6. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked hom several times as a 6--but then I do believe in miracles

7. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

Woohoo - in the log on 17M!!!!

8. WA4FNG

WA4FNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never worked the Monk, but have heard him with decent signals several times. I just seem to have bad timing and he QRTs before I can get a contact in...
    -Milt

9. UA6JD

UA6JD Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations - you can see a good dose of adrenaline in your blood when you heard your call and the report from the Apollo? For the sake of such moments and engage in DXing...

10. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

yes it was very exciting - i spent 37 minutes trying and almost gave up. i tried a few more times and just when i thought it was hopeless i heard "the three oscar" and a few seconds later he confirmed my call and that i was in his log.

DX is...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.