MS Office - bye!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W3MMM, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have a computer that runs Win 2000, And has Office 2000 on it.

It still works just fine. I rarely use it now.

No connection to the internet, But it has REAL I/O ports. I had to add USB ports.

2. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why can't you watch streaming TV on Firefox? I think Chrome stalks you too much.

What was Pmail?

de NK2U

3. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

usually when we try and watch streaming or local tv streaming, we get a msg that our browser isnt chrome or I need to upgrade to win10. Our tv viewing is a disaster here. After the last firefox update we could watch again. this usually works for a period of time however that will change until firefox gets a new update.
    Its almost like the media providers up here are playing games with what browser will work. Another ploy is for an error msg to come up and advise the operating system needs to be win10. nice game of sales promotion I think - worse than commercials.
    Currently I can watch crave, netflix, acorntv and amazontv on win7 or linux with firefox
    its almost enuff for me to stop watching the hour or so per night.

Pmail was pegasus mail back in 1990, it worked pretty good

4. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thunderbird was mentioned, I use Thunderbird..... and have my doubts about that.

Why does it keep a record of all the Emails AND addresses you send and receive in a hidden file? I just can't see the reason for that, I go round deleting them all once in a while.

Dave

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the name of this hidden file? Mine could probably use a flushing.

6. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

LibreOffice.
    Office 365? Only if someone else is signing the check. :)
    As far as prying eyes, need I remind you what hobby we all enjoy? LOL

7. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

In 2019, MS Office is a relic. There are numerous options which are just as capable and come at zero cost--and not all of it is turning your data into profit. Be suspect of major corporations offering free software. Excellent options are available for documents, spreadsheets, databases, CMSs, audio editing, video editing, etc.

About the only software worth good money for the average individual/institution is Adobe's image editing products. If you actually need them, InDesign and PhotoShop are worth the dough.

8. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not even remotely the same.

9. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Office 2003 on the Dell "tower' that it originally came with. Gratis from my late Mother-in-law. I still use it because I need Excel for plotting graphs from my Poor Ham's Scalar Network Analyzer. Also, for parallel port requirements for a Velleman scope/spectrum analyzer, and serial port for PIC programmers. Otherwise, I use LibreOffice on all PCs running Windows 10 Pro (even though 3 of them have MS Office installed) and on the the ones running Linux Mint 19.2 LTS and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I use LibreOffice on Raspberry Pi B+ and Raspberry Pi 3 B+ as well.

Ted, KX4OM

KA9JLM likes this.
  10. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Look in %appdata%. open Thunderbird profile/Mail/Local folders.... and then look in every folder.

I flush em' out regularly Drafts, inbox, sent, trash, sent and unsent, all these have a .msf folder as well and I clear them out as well.

I dunno why but I never have any unsent messages but copies end up in there as well.... why should they keep them after the Emails been and gone? I'm still pushing Win 7 pro here.

Dave