ad: ProAudio-1

Motorhome Amp

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KK5LL, Feb 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
  1. KK5LL

KK5LL Ham Member QRZ Page

Would appreciate any advice on best type of amp to run in my 32' Holiday Rambler. I am concerned about a possibility of circuit overload. Just put a IC 7300 into service and would like to crank it up a bit. Thanks so much.

2. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

We will need more information, 30 or 50 amp hook up? What size wire and breakers? Remember, 30 amps at 115 volts is only 3450 watts to run everything in the RV. You can run an AMP but you may need to do some load management when the heat or A/C is on.

3. KK5LL

50 amp shore power, unknown wire size, 15 amp breakers. I do understand load "shuffle". Need to figure how to mount a beam like yours on this rig. Thank you, sir.

4. NE2I

NE2I Ham Member QRZ Page

Use your shore batteries and run a solid state amp.

5. KK5LL

Good idea...hook up direct. Thanks.

6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you go that route , check to see that the amp can run on low voltage , batteries [ again without details - battery bank ] can have high current , but low voltage - you batteries are going to be close to 12.75v until you put a load on them - and may drop significantly with a load - all of this is in question with the lack of info ?
    Most ham gear is intended to run off of 13.8v [ this is because of the standard of - 12 v batteries - engine running and alternator charging - at min. RPM of around 1,300 - 1,500 , an alternator puts out very little current at idle ] .
    If your RV has 50 amp hookup , then it is possible that you have 240vac into the breaker box , so using a 240vac amp .
    Some RV's had power switches that helped using high current loads - the way they would work is for example - a switch on the wall near kitchen that would only allow the A/C in 1 position - or the microwave in the other .

7. K6JEA

K6JEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using a KPA500 in the 5th wheel. No issues so far.

8. KK5LL

Thanks fellas, think I'm going with the ALS-600.

9. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. KK5LL

Thanks Rory, very helpful. Nice ride. Had a '54 Caddy when I lived in El Monte. Wish I still had that tank.