MOST MEMORABLE QSO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB8AXI, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB8AXI

WB8AXI Ham Member QRZ Page

In the 1980's about eleven PM I was just closing-down  the Great Lakes Emergency and Traffic Net on 3932 khz. when a station with a U. S. Navy call sign [KC-?-USN]  hit me with a twenty over S/9 signal and gave his location as THULE, [tooley]:
    I couldn't believe my ears so I began to query him about his location [under the ice in Quonset huts]; [power provided by nuclear power plant] etc, etc:
    I had read about Thule Navy Base on Greenland Ice Cap in National Geographic  and this dude gave me all the right answers:
    I was located in south central lower Michigan at the time:
    Does anyone offer that I had been taken by this dude? or could this have been a 'pipe-line' on seventy five meters?
    I'm still amazed:
    73, de WB8AXI [​IMG]

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've worked the Thule station, as well as a few in Antarctica (which are much farther away&#33[​IMG] on 75m from my homes in NJ and CA. Remember these are well-equipped stations sponsored by the government (ours, or others&#39[​IMG] and the technicians who operate them have a lot of time to play with antennas and determine what works. Doesn't surprise me at all.

I've worked Bouvet Is. and other remote places on 75m phone and 80m CW, and so have thousands (and thousands&#33[​IMG] of others. The band's good for it, somebody just has to be there. The fact that the DXpeditions have stations manned around the clock with (mostly) good operators obviously helps a great deal.

Not many amateurs contacted NP1, the expedition to the North Pole about 20 years ago, but I did. The expeditioner (K2BPP) used a wire antenna literally laying on the ice because the WX was so horrendous (I think he said -40 degrees, and 60mph winds) he just couldn't do anything better. I operated his home station (K2BPP) in New Jersey, and we completed contacts on 20m SSB on a virtually dead band. K2BPP's home station included a pair of 5 element long-boom Telrex 20m yagis at 120' and 190' above ground, at his hilltop QTH. That seemed to do the trick!

WB2WIK/6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.