ad: elecraft

More Winners Announced in the Trivia Sweepstakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Oct 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's that time again.. We'd like to announce some new winners in our 25th Anniversary Trivia Sweepstakes giveaway!

Today, Congratulations go out to Jim Smith, VA7ER who has won a brand new ICOM ID-51A Plus2 handheld in the QRZ Sweepstakes.

Congratulations also to Jerald W. Carscadden, N7WAV, and Francisco Javier Sanchez Castello, EA5LN who will each receive a DX Engineering Swag Kit, including ball cap, umbrella, mug, pocket pad and pen. These swag kits will be given away weekly and the winners will be chosen from the pool of individuals who have scored a 100% on any one of our daily quizzes.

Good luck to the rest of our participants. To see the other prizes available please visit our Prize Forum.

You still have a chance to enter once per day from now through December 5th! Entering the sweepstakes is easy - simply visit our newly designed Trivia Challenge page and complete the daily quiz. Each time you complete the daily quiz, your call will be entered into the sweepstakes. It's as simple as that. You may play the quiz and enter once per day until the main sweepstakes drawing on December 5, 2018.

No purchase or subscription of any kind is required to participate. Buying a subscription or any product or service from QRZ or any of its advertisers or sponsors will NOT increase your chances of winning. This sweepstakes is designed for your fun and enjoyment, and potentially a great prize.

You can enter the sweepstakes now by going to The QRZ 25th Anniversary Trivia page

For a complete rundown on the rules and eligibility requirements, please visit the Sweepstakes Rules page.

WF7BSR, W4OTW and N8QQE like this.
  2. VK2CV

VK2CV Ham Member QRZ Page

KD8YZD, W4FJT and W4OTW like this.
  3. VA7AON

VA7AON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! I've enjoyed playing the trivia not only for fun, but as a learning tool. I never expected to actually WIN a prize, so this is a complete surprise to me!! Needless to say, I'm happy to be getting such a sophisticated handheld! Thanks QRZ and ICOM for sponsoring!

N3VQH, WJ8Y, EB1BSV and 6 others like this.
  4. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll clear this up right away as I did in the last thread. None of the grand prizes are dependent upon your score on the quizzes, nor are the weekly handheld giveaways. We recently added the DX Engineering Swag bags as a fun bonus for a handful of folks who have scored 100% on any daily trivia quiz. We may give these swag bags away in a number of ways.. perhaps we will give a few to folks who have completed every quiz since the beginning of the drawing, etc. just to keep things interesting.

QRZ Editor

K1LKP, KG4CWC, WJ8Y and 2 others like this.
  5. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not that it would have made any difference in my scoring 100% (best I've done so far is 80%), but an answer in the October 15, 2018 trivia quiz was so flagrantly misinformed, it just could not be ignored:

DSC06033.JPG
    My answer of 48 ohms was the closest to the actual impedance of a 1/4 wave vertical, which is 36 ohms.

I do enjoy the trivia quizzes, but it is hoped that, in the interest of correct information, the answers to future questions will reflect more careful research from more reliable sources. Kudos to QRZ.com, and the participating prize donors. :cool:

Jim​

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    NL7W, W7DRX, N0CEL and 1 other person like this.
  6. W9JEF

N0CEL, K0PV/SK2023 and W8LGZ like this.
  7. AF7ON

AF7ON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed it has been a fun challenge - but marred by incorrect answers. For one of the latest screw-ups, I can assure you that the peak-to-peak voltage of the US 117 V AC supply is not 165 V! Such trivial errors beggar belief!

Mike
    AF7ON

W7DRX, W9JEF and KM5SW like this.
  8. K5KTF

K5KTF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

165 (P-P) x .707 = 116.655 (RMS)
    117 (RMS) / .707 = 165.4879773691655 (P-P)

Close enough :)

N5HZR, KD8YZD, WY4NN and 1 other person like this.
  9. W9JEF

Close enough for peak voltage.

The question was peak to peak. (Double the peak voltage, to include the negative half cycle.) :cool:

[​IMG]

Jim​

NL7W likes this.
  10. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

So you have some wrong answers (maybe). So many people have to get on here and have to try to show that you are wrong. :rolleyes:
    Even if some of the answers MIGHT be wrong I am not going to complain to you at QRZ. I am going to praise you for what you and the companies donating equipment are doing. You all are taking a lot of time to do this and some are winning some great prizes.

So to show that most on here I am sure really appreciate this trivia test give away I want to thank you very very much for what you are doing. Even if I win nothing I still thank you. It is fun to read the question and if I don't know the answer and even though if I answer wrong I still get my call in the hate, I enjoy trying to research for the correct answer if I don't know it. I have learned some stuff from the tests.

I guess I just don't get why so many have to get on here and have to point out that you may or may not have got an answer wrong. I have some good guesses but I will not list them here.

Come on people. Give the folks doing this a break. They are giving you a chance to win some cool stuff. :)

So QRZ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    thank-you-drawing-51.jpg

No complaints from me.:)
    John, WB0MPB

W2MIX, KD8YZD, K1SHE and 10 others like this.
  11. W9JEF

John, nobody is complaining. The corrections offered are for the good of all who care about advancing the art and science of radio.

You say you learn from the tests, but what good is it, if what you learn is false (aka alternative facts)? o_O

And since a chance at winning some of the prizes depends on score of 100%, isn't it only fair, that the right answers also be the correct answers?

Jim​

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  12. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went with 50 ohms too Just saying Those prizes are Sweet Dang Hope I win something

W9JEF likes this.
  13. W9JEF

DSC06043.JPG
    All due respect, but my answer was closest to being correct. :cool:

DSC06044.JPG
    Peak-to-peak voltage would be 117 x 1.414 x 2 = 330.876 volts.

[​IMG]
    Peak-to-peak voltage comes into play in voltage doubling circuitry.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  14. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Well the answers probably came from the general class license book. Have you noticed how many questions get deleted as the answers are not quite right or the question is confusing and you can't make out just what is being asked? Especially when you look at the answer choices.

15. W9JEF

DSC06052.JPG [​IMG]
    The dreaded rettusnitch

Another fictional torture device--promoted by The Old Man, himself--is the WOUFF HONG, a somewhat less gruesome instrument with which a rettysnitchin' can be administered.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    K8PG likes this.