ad: vanity

More radio woes

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by VA6AW, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: L-Geochron
  1. VA6AW

VA6AW Ham Member QRZ Page

Have been using a TS140S for a few months and it was working fine.

Suddenly, the tuning rate has become very erratic. Super slow when tuning down in freq and super fast when going up. Very frustrating. I think its the encoder that's faulty.

Any suggestions as to repairing this problem or find a replacement part. The rig works fine otherwise. The last thing I need is another dust collector an my shelf.

Gary VA6AW

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's old. Consider yourself using a 30 year-old computer. Would it actually still work?:p

Clif KA5IPF might chime in and recommend a replacement dial encoder. I've never had to replace one, but I know they exist.

3. VA6AW

Tnx for letting me know about KA5IPF. Will look him up and see what he can do.
    Yes the rig is old but it didn't cost me much.

VA6AW

4. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Easy first thing to try is simply go through and back off any screws that mount boards to the chassis and provide ground reference and then tighten them. Oft times heating and cooling cycles will loosen them ever so slightly and allow a slight bit of corrosion to build up between the screw and circuit board. Also reseat any connectors for the same reason. If that doesn't help, then move on to more drastic measures.

Clif did good work on my lemon TS-850 about 15 years ago. Highly recommended.

5. N3LI

N3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a looks see if the set screw might be teh culprit. I have found some radios that seem to slip in one direction only.

6. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can actually make your own encoder with simple parts from Radio Shack. All you need is a method of making a pulse that has two signals. One is 90% in front of the other and depends on whether you're tuning up or down. You can make it tune as fast as you wish or as slow as you can. You can use switches for the up/down selection and a variable resistor for the speed of tuning.
    You can also use just about any encoder presently made that has the quadrature output. This can be mounted in place of the old encoder or placed in an external box. It'll get the TS-140S working like new with either approach.
    Hope this helps
    Gary

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Why wouldn't it?

8. VA6AW

Tnx guys

Yes, I have looked inside and tightened up the screws etc. Inside is nice and clean as this radio was well taken care of. As to the tuning knob, I can't get it off as the set screw seems to be stripped. Just my luck Hi.

As for replacing the encoder unit with something else, that's way beyond anything I could do. I came from the old school when it comes to dealing with IC's etc. I'm hoping to find a replacement unit. Hope clif gets back to me on that.

Radio still works but tuning is somewhat irritating.

Gary

9. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure the set screw isn't a hex?

10. VA6AW

Yep its a hex screw. I can see it if I shine my mini light down the hole. Its stripped alright. Guess Ill have to drill it out and tap it out for another. Or leave the knob off and hook it to my electric drill.

Gary

11. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Time to put it on EBAY as a Tech Special! U will return enough to buy a BRAND NEW radio! Maybe not a FT5000, but atleast a IC-718!

12. KC9UDX

If the hex is rounded, try hammering in a slightly larger torx bit. If the threads are stripped, try using a left handed drill.

13. VA6AW

TNX KC9UDX

I did what you suggested and gently pressed in a hex key. It worked and now the knob is off.

Next thing I did was to remove a bunch of panel screws, circuit board mounting screws and began to gently (again) removing the circuit board. Suddenly, but no surprise to me with my luck, some parts came out and flew all over the floor. I saw my whole life flash by right then as this must be the end.

However, they seemed to be buttons for some of the controls, but when I took another look at the radio nothing seemed to be missing. Its as if they were extra parts that seem to have been left inside for some reason.!!

Well, I got the encoder unit out, and its not working properly, seems to be slipping inside as I can see through some slits in the housing. Guess Ill just keep going, take it apart, as it has 4 tiny screws holding a cover and see if I can fix that. Maybe a drop of hot glue will stop the slip, otherwise this disaster will be making its appearance as a parts radio on Ebay

Thats all for now folks

Gary

14. KC9UDX

Both in my occupation and at my home, I have had enough similar experiences that I preach to everyone to have under the bench a clean, painted floor with boundaries so that when that happens parts are easy to find. Unfortunately, I never listen to my own advice and I am always fishing around for parts.

I don't know if hot glue will work, but I can't see it and you can, so maybe. Otherwise, use green loctite.

Oddly, I've had the same experience with extraneous parts laying around inside radios (and other electronics) that other people have worked on. Sometimes the parts come with instructions on how to put them back in, and other times they just don't belong there and it's a mystery to me!

Good luck, and don't give up.

15. KC9UDX

Alsø, I wonder if you can get a replacement encoder at a reasonable price?

16. VA6AW

Yes a good clean floor does wonders. Here I have hardwood so I could hear the parts scattering and I think I found them all. Just looks like spare parts put there when they built the thing.

Also hoping to hear from clif KA5IPF about a replacement unit. He did send me an email asking if it was the M.ch or the encoder that I was wondering about. Have not heard back from him yet. Good suggestion about using loctite. That would work better than glue hi.

Well Im going to think this over and decide tomorrow

Gary

17. VA6AW

Well guess what.

Today I fixed the problem and also found out where the spare parts (Hi) came from. Parts fell off the slider controls. Figures.

The encoder was hard to get out but rather simple to fix. There was a disk inside that was slipping and covered with grime and dust. Cleaned it with contact cleaner and put a few dabs of hot glue on the shaft to disk and its working perfectly. Hope it stays that way. No Ebay special yet, but never know.

Tnx for all the helpful suggestions.

Gary

18. VE3FMC

VE3FMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With an IC-718 he would not have to wake up in the morning and wonder if there is going to be white lines throughout the LCD readouts. ;)

19. VA6AW

Tnx Rick

I was actually looking at one of those but the price was to high. The only other issue I have with the ts140 is a very noisy receiver. Constant S7 or more noise level. Guess I have to live with it as the antenna's I use, inverted vee or longwire works good on xmit but poor on receive.

Worked F6hka through the qrn today but he was 589.

Gary

20. VE3FMC

VE3FMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Gary

I owned an Icom 718 for about 5 or 6 years and never had any problems with it. Operated phone and digital modes with it. For the money it is a good radio.
    Not sure if you know about this online swap site but you can watch and see if a decent radio at a good price shows up. I check it daily. The nice thing about this site is everyone who lists is Canadian. So you do not have to worry about running into someone who refuses to ship to Canada.

http://www.kwarc.org/swapshop/

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.