ad: OCICOM-1

More radio woes

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VA6AW, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. VA6AW

VA6AW Ham Member QRZ Page

Have been using a TS140S for a few months and it was working fine.

Suddenly, the tuning rate has become very erratic. Super slow when tuning down in freq and super fast when going up. Very frustrating. I think its the encoder that's faulty.

Any suggestions as to repairing this problem or find a replacement part. The rig works fine otherwise. The last thing I need is another dust collector an my shelf.

Gary VA6AW

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's old. Consider yourself using a 30 year-old computer. Would it actually still work?:p

Clif KA5IPF might chime in and recommend a replacement dial encoder. I've never had to replace one, but I know they exist.

3. VA6AW

Tnx for letting me know about KA5IPF. Will look him up and see what he can do.
    Yes the rig is old but it didn't cost me much.

VA6AW

4. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Easy first thing to try is simply go through and back off any screws that mount boards to the chassis and provide ground reference and then tighten them. Oft times heating and cooling cycles will loosen them ever so slightly and allow a slight bit of corrosion to build up between the screw and circuit board. Also reseat any connectors for the same reason. If that doesn't help, then move on to more drastic measures.

Clif did good work on my lemon TS-850 about 15 years ago. Highly recommended.

5. N3LI

N3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a looks see if the set screw might be teh culprit. I have found some radios that seem to slip in one direction only.

6. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can actually make your own encoder with simple parts from Radio Shack. All you need is a method of making a pulse that has two signals. One is 90% in front of the other and depends on whether you're tuning up or down. You can make it tune as fast as you wish or as slow as you can. You can use switches for the up/down selection and a variable resistor for the speed of tuning.
    You can also use just about any encoder presently made that has the quadrature output. This can be mounted in place of the old encoder or placed in an external box. It'll get the TS-140S working like new with either approach.
    Hope this helps
    Gary

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why wouldn't it?

8. VA6AW

Tnx guys

Yes, I have looked inside and tightened up the screws etc. Inside is nice and clean as this radio was well taken care of. As to the tuning knob, I can't get it off as the set screw seems to be stripped. Just my luck Hi.

As for replacing the encoder unit with something else, that's way beyond anything I could do. I came from the old school when it comes to dealing with IC's etc. I'm hoping to find a replacement unit. Hope clif gets back to me on that.

Radio still works but tuning is somewhat irritating.

Gary

9. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure the set screw isn't a hex?

10. VA6AW

Yep its a hex screw. I can see it if I shine my mini light down the hole. Its stripped alright. Guess Ill have to drill it out and tap it out for another. Or leave the knob off and hook it to my electric drill.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.