Monitoring One's Own Audio ?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N4UP, Mar 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Like I said, the distance depends on the microphone...

Mics.jpg

Worked well for Z100 in New York. Watch closely beginning at :36...

[​IMG]

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

No . . . the distance depends on the Room Acoustics !

In your example above, the second guy is in a proper acoustically-treated Studio . . . so he can get away with being 4 - 6 inches away from the microphone. (although in my 30 year broadcasting career I always worked 2 - 3 inches from the Mic, usually Neumanns)

But most Radio Hams don't have that luxury. In an ordinary room, 6 inches away from the mic means you will get lots of room reverb ! (as well as background noise from fans, etc)

Roger G3YRO

3. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger and Frank.. I love reading your post and experience with radio stuff. Roger I own quite a few broadcast microphones and did Pro recording years back.
    If I use a TS-480 stock mic, It is about 1 to 2 inches from my lips. The RE-20 ( the most forgiving mic for voice ) is @ 2 to 3 inches depending on the gain used.
    My Neumann TLM-103 is about 4 to 6 inches with the gain I use. I LIKE the distance, so I can move off axis and not sound like I am in the next room. I……
    don’t use the Neumann often, because it is too sensitive for my ham shack as you know. I prefer my RCA 44 BX copy I made ( QRZ ) which has a ribbon motor
    in it like the real deal. Distance 4-5 inches FOR THE SWEET SPOT. Radio personalities / Hams are not microphone guys like you, so they use processing / levelers
    and the rest to make things right. Close talking any mic is not the best thing to do, because bad things fly out ones mouth. Steve is hard on doing this, but you can
    see the podcasters demo on you-tube RE-20 vs PR-40. I like the sound of the PR-40 over my RE-20, you just don’t close talk that mic “ boomy “.

As for monitoring your signal. I use a second receiver on AM. Tuning SSB the tone of the voice go up- and down with tuning. It can throw you off some. If If
    You have a decent AM rig, you can use a simple AM/ RF detector ( clean RF ) to listen to the actual AM signal being transmitted ( how cool is that ? ) Then I go
    back n forth to SSB and get it very close to what I want it to sound like. I think the original poster if reading all this would say ( I GIVE UP ) . Frank – Roger
    please keep posting I love what you guys have to say !!

4. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the larger sites, we had the Belar mod monitors or the BBC designed MMU's (Modulation Monitor Units) but the smaller sites, we used what we affectionately called a "Murf". A simple capacitive divider and diode detector across the output feeder.
    It was really a "Monitor Unit/RF" hence "Murf". They powered a carrier fail relay directly off the RF too!
    Simple stuff...
    Frank.