Monitor Sensors TVTR2

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by WQ2H, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2. NO3M

NO3M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Watch for a review of the TVTR1 (630m) in July QST. Observations and conclusions should be similar for the TVTR2 (2200m) unit.

WQ2H likes this.
  3. KJ4ADN

KJ4ADN Ham Member QRZ Page

Got mine ordered from Roger, hope to have it a few days before Field Day....
    From what I've been reading, the setup sounds really easy, almost plug-n-play.

4. WQ2H

Nice. What kind of antenna set-up were you thinking about?

5. KJ4ADN

Only because I already have a 160m dipole up, at least I should be able to hear something... I hope... for now.
    Ultimately, a Marconi, or some variation of a top loaded vertical.

Verticals have been good for our location, when our house was built, they lazy contractor spread the subsoil on top of the top soil and seeded it... grass barely grew.
    Top soil is not so great for conductivity, but the sub-soil from the basement dig, I can pick up dirt with a magnet. Just doesn't extend more than 100 yds from the house.
    We have had more than our share of lightning strikes...

That little girl in the picture KJ4AUW "Peaches", is 19yrs now, when she gets on the air, she dominates... amazing thing to watch her run on a frequency, working a long pile up... but, runs me ragged! "Need a glass of water!" "Power supply just cut off, back on batteries, Dad!" "Switch my antenna, I worked everyone N/S on 80m, I need *your* E/W 80/160m" "How's my audio sound, some guy said I'm clipping." "Is that too much or not enough compression?" "Foot switch keeps sliding, do we have a rubber mat? And a different chair?" "My dog wants out, he's whining!" "Some rooster is crowing outside my window, can someone chase him away?"

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    WQ2H likes this.
  6. WQ2H

I plan to ultimately try a 160m 4 wave horizontal loop I have out back for the 2200m. I have no clue if it will work, but it's the best I have. It works well for my Winlink gateway on 80m, and tunes up to a lot of other bands.

I'm currently about 25% of the way through building the QRP Labs Ultimate3S. (taking it slowly) If I can get it to work (Rx anyway) - I'll probably spring for the TVTR2.

Good luck - would love to hear a report when you get it.

Jim, WQ2H

7. KJ4ADN

This is the first time I've known what kind of antenna I really want for TX (a vertical), but a bit undecided on the RCV antenna.
    It may come down to pairs of antennas or pairs of arrays (shortened, of course).

Experimenting is most of the fun for me, but dealing with something this LARGE, that's a new one, not to mention the voltages.

8. NO3M

9. KJ4ADN

thanks Eric!
    The 67' vertical with sloping cap hat wires is what I have in mind, for the most part.
    My internet is pretty limited, so I'd have to DL the video to watch it - sounds quite interesting though.

If customs doesn't bottleneck things up, I could have the Transverter as early as Tuesday.
    We hope to be ready for Field Day.
    KJ4ADN - Bill

10. NO3M

Our small FD group will be attempting at least one 630m CW QSO near dusk with another station on the other side of PA. Our station will be a 1930s style setup using a HRO-5 (I modified one of the coilsets to bandspread 630m) and a homebrew exciter + amp in a 6ft wooden rack. The amp is a pair of 814s that make about 250w on 630m. The antenna will be a open wire fed 80m doublet configured as a Tee vertical against a couple dozen radials.