Money Order transactions

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KD8ZAZ, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8ZAZ

KD8ZAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently made a purchase on this site (possibly my last). like most sellers this individual has required "postal money order only". I have spoken with them on the phone, everything appears ok. I don't have a reason to believe they intend to defraud me. However....

Today I received an email stating that the postal money order was received. (mind you, I despise the post office. the inefficiency, the attitudes, etc.) The seller goes on to say that since it was a somewhat large sum, they deposited it into the bank. The bank told them it would take 5 days to clear. my question is should they have gone directly to the post office if they wanted to verify it was legitimate? the sellers issue with the bank is not my issue. I paid money directly from my account (zero options on payment or protection). I'm not defrauding anyone here. I want what I paid for. I held up my end of the deal, payment was mailed THAT day, not several days later.

Am I wrong to be a bit angry about this having to wait? do they not trust a federally issued order? if I was going to be forced to wait another 5 days, why couldn't I just use a personal check at that point?

What good is a postal money order if the sellers don't trust that either?

Paypal, on the other hand, I've had ZERO problems with. buying or selling. to me, it's worth the fee any day of the week. I have approximately 70 transactions on eBay and that account has been open for over 10 years now.

What was once an anticipation of being able to enjoy something new-to-me before the holidays, has now become something else.

Flame suit on.

2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm trying to wrap my head around who "they" and "them" are in this transaction. Yes, you certainly have the right to be upset as a Postal Money Order is secure.

If you can share info on the product and the seller, it would benefit us all here at QRZ.

I do agree with you that PayPal is the ONLY way to go. They have bailed out my bacon several times from unscrupulous sellers.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well...... gotta tell ya Dave that it can go the other way just as easily if the seller isn't really careful.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ship with DIRECT SIGNATURE REQUIRED - not "indirect" or "neighbor"
    or "no signature required".

If you ignore that warning, all the buyer has to say is "I never got it" and bam! He gets a nearly instant refund.

Ask me how I might know all of this... :)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the problem is that MOs can be counterfeited as can most documents. I don't know if a PO clerk can verify and immediately cash but I think they can.

My bank says it can take up to 20 days to clear (or reject) a regular check since if it bounces they try several more times.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The point here in "Scams and Ripoffs" is to identify sellers and buyers with "questionable" issues to alert QRZ buyers and sellers. Without a suspect call sign/name the posting is meaningless. It becomes a rant on the PO or other transaction entity.

Tom - UR right. Twice I have had checks chemically washed and edited with fraudulent information. Now days, I hear that is not so easily done.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

If I can't pay by PAY PAL or in person with cash, I can't make a deal!

7. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Dan,
    The possibility of a counterfeit MO, as Tom pointed out, is very real. In addition, most buyers and sellers will research the other party, including reading their posts here. Read yours and see if you might have given the seller a reason to be cautious.
    Hart
    AJ4GQ

8. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, commenting as a former Regulatory Compliance Officer for a multi-bank holding company and, now, as a Certified Fraud Examiner, KD8ZAZ's post lacks so much information available ONLY from the seller, it's impossible to evaluate his allegations.

MY SUSPICION: The seller personally imposed the five-day hold; banks are required by regulation to give written notice of an extended hold and of the reason(s) for it.

N9LCD

9. KD8ZAZ

KD8ZAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Follow up... The seller checked back with the bank. The bank employee wasn't familiar with the process. The manager called the post office 800 number and verified funds. Supposedly the radio is going out shortly. The concerning part was the seller claims to use money orders often. You would think they know how they work. If a hold is placed on a government payment, then why couldn't I just have used personal check and avoid the slow and incompetents at the post office? The reason I did not name the individual yet is simple, fraud has not yet occurred. I don't want to be involved in a thing called slander or defamation of character. I'm just not happy with it, my end of the transaction was completed in good faith.

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.