ad: qroparts

Mobile VHF/UHF antenna mounts

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KG4DYN, Nov 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KG4DYN

KG4DYN Ham Member QRZ Page

I looking at upgrading the antenna on my 2002 F-250. I currently have an NMO mount on a small bracket fixed in the hood gap holding a Larsen antenna.

My questions: are PL-259 mounts stronger than NMO? I sometimes us this truck for off-road and encounter tree limbs. I may add an amp at some point. Do the PL-259 handle power better? The NMO had served me well, but I don’t think the little tab on the mount and contact in the antenna base are the best electrical connection. I’m considering either the Diamond SG7900 or Comet CSB line. Any thoughts?

2. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd stay with NMO, and stay with Larsen, Laird, Comtelco, PCTel and alike. With the NMO you'll have a much wider selection of antennas available.

KX4O, KG4DYN and NH7RO like this.
  3. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I echo the suggestion that you stay with NMO. Many more antenna options. There is a reason why public safety vehicles typically use NMO's. They hold up better than most of the other available mounts. It isn't the mount you need to worry about when off roading--it is the antenna. There are antenna options with springs that increase survivability. I have an F 150 (slightly newer than yours) and it has had a Larson 2/70 NMO (also highly recommended) on the same type of mount you have and mine has been off road many times. The antenna has survived many a branch hit and keeps on ticking.

AI7PM, AI3V, KG4DYN and 1 other person like this.
  4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

+1 more for Larsen and NMO; like the old Western Airlines ads of the 1960s, it's "...the only way to fly."

AI7PM and KG4DYN like this.
  5. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep,

There is nmo

And there is everything else.

Rege

WA8FOZ, AI7PM and NH7RO like this.
  6. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, I've been using a big Comet dual-band antenna with SO-239 style base on my car for seven trouble-free years. It works fine and has been very durable.

BUT. . .

As the other fellows have said, you'll never go wrong with a commercial-grade NMO mount. Just don't buy a cheap one (they will rust, the center contacts will lose their "springiness", etc). Stick with the good stuff and it'll last a lifetime. There's a reason fire, EMS, law enforcement, and the Government use them almost exclusively.

NH7RO and KX4O like this.
  8. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know which is stronger but I've been using SO-239 mounted antennas since 1993 on all sorts of vehicle that see off road driving. I've never had a broken mount.
    I have had some broken antennas, mostly Comets that had plastic loading coils. I mostly stick with Diamond antennas that have open "coil spring" loading coils.
    I like the SO-239 style mount because you can make your own with a long barrel connector and some nuts for it. If you need to have a higher antenna for a public service event or something you can use a barrel connector and a length of cable between the mount and the antenna. The antenna can be raised on a mast or pulled up into a tree with a rope.
    I've used some NMO mounts too but they seem less versatile to me.