ad: elecraft

Mobile HF antenna help

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K4VUQ, Aug 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I don't know ANY commercial mobile antennas that DON'T use stainless steel whips ! (HF or VHF)

Roger G3YRO

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They all do, and with one exception, 17-7 material. Some, like Larsen's, are copper plated deep enough to minimize the problem (they're called KoolRod for a reason).

I haven't used a stainless steel whip for years and years. The cap hat support is a 5/8 inch, by four foot, 6061 aluminum rod. The loops are 304 stainless, but its permeability is just over 1 or about what pure aluminum is. And just for the record, 17-7 has a permeability between 140 and 175 depending on who made it (≈ % of nickel content) . And...

Currently, there are less than 10 manufacturers of stainless steel whips in the word. All but a small amount of 17-7 material originates in China. The rod is shipped to end fabricators, uncoiled, straightened, and taper ground to OEM specs. Here in the USA, there is only one manufacturer located in Florida. At one time, you could buy whips as long as 120 inches, and as large as 3/8 inches at the base. That hasn't been the case for over 50 years!

3. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

I used attachable TOW HOOK came with car, to CB style antenna mount, which is used for mounting CB antenna on Pipe of outside mirror for semi truck.
    drilled two 1/4 inch holes , so bolts go through inside circle of Tow Hook ring.
    most newer car have those Tow Hook holes in bumper, both in front and rear.
    since it is for towing car, the tow hook mount is pretty strong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More detail picture at my Ham Radio web site below.

http://ag6ju-01.dynv6.net:5950/ham-...ester-HF-CB-antenna-mount-using-tow-hook.html

4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

You have an antenna mounted on the FRONT of the car?!

And how do you stop the tow hook from rotating?

(personally I would never mount an antenna that low down)

Roger G3YRO

5. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

The photos I see of people using inflexible rods give me the heebie jeebies. I think of "what if" I should run under something and strike that stiff "whip".:oops: No telling what damage it would to an expensive screwdriver, much less the car itself. To each his own.....................;) I'll stay with the flexible stainless whips.

6. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can't see it in the photos, but at the bottom of the mast are two flats. They facilitate tightening things up, but the also act as a safety break point.