Mobile FT8 and Grid Squares

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N4UP, Apr 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the past few years I have gone mobile fairly often to run counties, over 1,000 so far, and mostly on CW. For logging purposes I note each operating location and then when I get home I look up the grid squares and edit the log appropriately, which works since no one on CW is asking for my grid in real time.

Now I am planning a cross country trip and will operate CW and/or FT8 from maybe 200 counties along the way. So now I need to determine the grid square and edit my WSJT-X location before transmitting from each location. Since I don't know in advance each exact operating location, I figured there would be some cell phone app I could use. I am not an app kind-of-person, but must admit that if there is a need I am willing to try it.

I don't want to waste time with maps and trying to figure it out on my mobile laptop, so I needed something simple and quick. Found something called Grid Square Locator by Boris, US1PM. It is indeed simple and quick, and presumably accurate and reliable. Problem solved.

I would be interested to know what other folks use on the road and how well something works. Also any insights into operating FT8 mobile. By mobile I mean pulling off the road and operating while parked with the engine running and no external connections. Can't really drive and operate the laptop at the same time, though I have been known to operate CW while driving.

2. KD5UFQ

KD5UFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the HamGPS app for grid squares. Very fast and easy to use.

If you can connect your laptop to the radio and digital interface via bluetooth, that would simplify things.

N4UP likes this.
  3. AD7DB

AD7DB Ham Member QRZ Page

RepeaterBook app also tells you your grid.

N4UP likes this.