Mobile 5 watts on 40m today

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KG0UFO, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KG0UFO

KG0UFO Ham Member

FYI: Driving to work this morning, made contact and checked in with the Rocky Mountain RV Service Net (7.184) using my mobile rig, FT-817 (5 watts) and a 40M Hamstick on the car roof. Love those low power mobile contacts! Location was driving southbound on I-25 between Pueblo and Colorado Springs.

73, Mike
    KG7UFO

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member

I've done 20m PSK-31 mobile with my 817 -- fun stuff.

3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber

If every things jives just right, it is possible to reach around the world with as little as 10 milliwatts of ERP. While working DX seemingly appears to be the measure of antenna efficiency, it is, alas, not!

4. KG0UFO

KG0UFO Ham Member

Checked into the 40M net again this morning with my 5 watt mobile and Hamstick, and held a extended QSO with the net control, about 600 miles from me. Life is good when there is contact!

73, Mike
    KG7UFO

5. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member

LOVE running my '817 in the car with the hamstick. Have had lots of fun contacts with that on 40 and 20. Makes it easy when there's no need for heavy-duty wiring from the battery.

6. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber

Under the right conditions you can do much better. It's good that you were able to do that and it would be an interesting test to see if you can do that reliably. That's the true test. Having constant and definiate contact when you need it is the goal. Trying to work the bands with 5W is interesting and fun but it has it's limitations and often timing is the most important factor. Maybe you found a pipeline to net control and that can be maintained at all times. There is the possibility the net control station had a good enough setup to pull you out and make the contact. Did you contact other stations as a test? How well did you do?
    BTW 600 miles on 5W isn't even close to what can be accomplished. Keep working.
    Have fun
    Gary

7. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

I worked Yemen QRP SSB on 17m on 5/6/12 at 02:42 utc on 2nd call at home lucky....BUT the conditions have to be right your not going to do those everyday I also worked HK0 on 4 bands SSB QRP and all bands SSB except 6m QRO. I really enjoy QRP have 2 rigs at this time an IC-703 Plus with the W4RT duel filter setup and a Elecraft K2 recently upgraded to a 100w rig but still used mostly for QRP the 100w being for Field Day use.

It's all probigation always has been always will be. I work 2 nets a day one on 40m here in NA and one 20m for ZL,VK and of all places South Africa. A strange net for 3 areas but all on nightly here in US about 06:00-08:30 utc most nights. Keep up the QRP mobile contacts your doing great you might consider setting up some better antennas at home and having a go at some real DX there.

I run JT65HF daily QRP never over 5w and a lot of the time down to .5w. I check for probigation using WSPR and 2w a lot of the time when I'm in the shack using a vertical.

8. KG0UFO

KG0UFO Ham Member

My best low power voice contact was from Colorado to the Cook Islands, using 50mW into a Hamstick attached to the back of my three speed bicycle.

73, Mike
    KG7UFO

9. KG0UFO

KG0UFO Ham Member

Oops, I meant 500mW (.5 W).

10. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber

Right place, right time and right conditions= Contacts.
    Have fun
    Gary

11. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber

Gary, I agree with you. This brings up a few questions.

Was I in the right place at the right time?
    Was I in the wrong place at the right time?
    Was I in the right place at the wrong time?
    Was I in the wrong place at the wrong time?

It also brings up the glaring question, does working some specific DX contact mean anything other than propagation from point A to B was good?

The answers to all of the questions are ambiguous, and all depend on one's point of view. Personally, it is pointless, and just shows the naivety of neophyte operators! For example, if you ask a neophyte if it is easier to work the west coast of the USA from the east coast, or to work Europe from the east coast, they always state the latter, without realizing which is closer in nautical miles!

Perhaps we should ask them (the neophytes) to explain the following:

What is the pseudo-Brewster angle?
    What is the definition of MUF?
    Or the real tricky one....
    What is the takeoff angle of a vertical at the point of maximum signal strength?

Oh! I ponder!

12. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber

Gee Alan, those kinds of questions might make someone think. That could be a good thing but with some people that's a big problem. Having the data right in front of them and it's likely they will have a fuller understanding of what is a good antenna and what isn't. What good propagation is and what it's like when the Sun makes everything a mess.
    I do miss the days when simple stuff worked really well on 10 meters. I had a converted SSB CB rig at that time (it was long ago) and was working the world with it. What fun that was. Nobody had the funny notion that is around today that you have to be on an exact frequency that equals 0.00 or 5.00. The fact was at that time everybody was everywhere and all you had to do was tune them in.
    Had a SB-104A and since nobody knew what my voice sounded like they would tune it to their liking. This was always off and the SB-104A didn't have a RIT so we just started walking ourselves across the band. Later I got a remote VFO for the SB-104A and everything was fine.
    Gary

13. G7DIE

G7DIE Ham Member

I'm not sure why you have to be so abrasive, the OP was pretty pleased to have made the contact, he wasn't saying his system works better than anyone else's, or that he's found the secret to reliable 40m QRP, I get from his post that he's pleased with the accomplishment, that he's pleased, bearing in mind the limitations of his installation, that he was able to have a chat with someone that isn't in the same town, and do it on more than one occasion.

I've seen your condemnation on a number posts in the mobile section where someone just wants to shout out about what they thought was an achievement, you don't come across like you're trying to help them with reliable communications, in fact your posting on this topic is more troll like than supportive, I think that's a little disappointing considering the time and effort you've put into researching, and promulgating, reliable mobile HF communications, you do yourself a disservice.

I get more enjoyment from operating QRP, and working the DX, than I do from QRO, I know it's harder, yet ultimately more satisfying when it all comes together, doing it mobile as well always brings a big smile when it works, QRP with a monobander at 60' doesn't somehow feel the same ;-)

14. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber

It isn't abrasion which drives me Stephen, it's reality. Seemingly, every amateur in the world uses their DX contacts as if it were a badge of honor. I will agree, however, that once your total hovers around 250, the contacts get more difficult. But that fact doesn't have anything to do with one's installation, antenna, or even ERP—it's propagation that is the key. My questions remain!

15. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber

With the first one if you're at a place that sells lotto tickets then buy one. You dont need more than that you are sure to be the winner.
    With the second one, you can't get there from here. So quit trying. You're just ticking people off.
    With the third one, ditto, except now folks are at the end of their patience.
    With the fourth one, everybodies patience is completely exhausted. They have gather up the rest of the villagers with their touches and pitchforks. You're doomed. You never want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Have fun
    Gary

16. KG0UFO

KG0UFO Ham Member

It's okay... yes I was proud and happy with my little Mobile QRP contact, and this K0BG Roswell guy has a right to share what he thinks is the right way with his best foot forward approach. I didn't follow what his website says, but I made the contact anyway. That's all that matters, my best foot forward approach was sticking a hamstick on the back of my bicycle, attaching my .5W rig up, and talking with my contact. It worked... that's all that counts. A contact made... with my approach!
    Have a great day K0BG, and don't be afraid of accepting a simpler method, that works too... It's just all about sharing QSOs on ham radio, no matter how you do it.

73' Mike
    KG7UFO

17. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber

Yes it is, and it exemplifies the old cliche, One man's trash is another man's treasure. Wallpaper (QSL cards as they used to be referred to as) was never my thing. Neither was contesting, albeit I've done both.

The mobile bug hit me because I used to travel so much, I was almost a cliche myself! The sales game taught me the best foot forward approach, along with the seven Ps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.