ad: GNOHF-1

Misuse of call sign

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KM5QS, Jul 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KM5QS

KM5QS Ham Member QRZ Page

Recieved email response on add placed 6/3/19 from someone claiming to be VE6KDX. I don't think it was him, he lives in Canada and the ip on the email is 41.215.163.130 . That is in Ghana, Africa. also they were trying to sell me my own amp. Scammers are not always the brightest folks, but they do qualify for the most dispicable. If any one knows the real VE6KDX please advise him of this. He does not have an email address listed here so I don't know how to contact him.

Be careful, Jay //KM5QS

2. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

You may want to contact him through a PM here on QRZ. He is a paid QRZ subscriber and I noticed that he last checked in yesterday. His QRZ page makes him sound like a pretty friendly fellow.

Ken

3. KM5QS

I would like to contact him , I really do not think he is guilty. I have never used PM , how does that work.

4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Where did you place the ad, Jay? I don't see anything on QRZ.

5. KM5QS

I placed the add on QTH, thats how I got his ip #. I was posting here just to spread the word.

Jay

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

QTH displays the IP address of users ?

What does QRZ have to do with it ?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    KA2FIR likes this.
  7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Read post #5.

8. KM5QS

There was no blame on or about QRZ , just an attempt to warn some folks who might be caught napping ,QSL??

AJ4GQ likes this.
  9. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for a sensible alert post. You didn't just assume the VE6 was guilty !!

KP4SX and N0TZU like this.
  10. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I can reply to him, but since you have first hand knowledge of this apparent scam, it would probably be best if it came from you. I'd be reluctant to add any more people and confusion to what should be a simple notification.

This may sound a little complicated, but it is actually quite simple and intuitive.

Here on this QRZ page, scroll to the upper right corner. In the little box that says "Search..." enter the call sign VE6KDX. Don't add anything else in the pop-up window. Press Search at the bottom of that small window. On the right side of the screen another box will open under a link to your general information that says "MATCHED USERS". Click on his call sign. That will open another window relating to him. Select "Start a Conversation". You will then be able to send a private message to him. If he sees it, he will probably reply.

Good luck, and thank you for bringing this up. I'd certainly want to know if somebody was using my call. It has happened to me a couple of times in my nearly 60 years of hamming.

Ken