ad: dxeng

Mirage Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N6MEJ, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking for a VHF or VHF/UHF amplifier that is reasonably priced. I am drawn to Mirage only because I have a twenty five year old two meter amplifier (B23) that still works like a champ. However, I realize that Mirage has been tainted by MFJ ownership and am concerned about the quality of anything coming out of there shop now. E-Ham net shows a clear decline in ratings over the last year or so…another indicator.

How long has MFJ owned Mirage? I may look for a used amplifier that is pre-MFJ vintage.

Any insights?

Thanks

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's been many years.

I'd be careful of the older Mirage amps -- not that they're not good, just that several models use transistors that are no longer available, so if you need to replace one that could be a problem.

You might also give TE Systems a look.

3. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, what the heck.............Remortgage the house & really be "loud and proud". :)

VHF/UHF Amps

Tom KCØW

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. N6MEJ

Thanks for the response and the note of caution on older equipment. Yes, TE Systems is an option, but they are pricey. May be ill just look for some used TE stuff.

7. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a RF Concepts 2m amp that is still going strong after 20+ years. I think they were bought out by Alpha amps if I'm not mistaken.

8. N6MEJ

Just a little more than I was looking for...but wow what a signal on 2 meter SSB!

9. N6MEJ

10. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A very reasonable amp for 2m is an older Henry 1k I have 2 of them bought another 2 weeks ago. The price per watt is cheaper for them than anything and can usually be bought for $1-1200 for a 1000w cheap. Look at at a Mirage 300w it will do 350w with a increase in voltage mine does and it costs $700+.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.