Mint box transmitter/reciever

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by ALEXT, Jan 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

A full size 40m dipole built from wire would be pretty good bang for the buck. 66 ft long, and up as high as you can get it.
    Again, you do realize that this is a Morse code radio, right? No voice. It's also a "QRP" radio... a low power transmitter generally used by those of us who like the challenge of trying to get through with as little power as possible, just because it's tough!
    If you're really trying to get through to Germany, this is just about the hardest possible way to do it. You might accomplish it once or twice in a year, maybe.

ALEXT likes this.
  2. ALEXT

ALEXT QRZ Member

i do know its morse code :) also i understand now how much of an impossibility it would be to transmit from this altoid tin pixie to germany, so i sorta dropped that goal for now.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not impossible - just difficult. With a 2-element 40m beam at 100 feet, during decent band conditions, with an operator on each end with sufficient skills, it's entirely possible. Even with a really good dipole during very good band conditions.

I'd very much welcome the challenge - but I've got a lot of years at CW/Morse experience at low power - many folks much much more than mine.

Sometimes really hard stuff is the most rewarding when you accomplish it.

But if you don't know how to walk, it's going to be really hard to ride a bike uphill in the rain at night on your first few tries :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  4. ALEXT

ALEXT QRZ Member

Hello again! you there dave? :D

@W7UUU

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 3:18 AM
  5. W7UUU

Hello Alex :)

Dave
    W7UUU

6. ALEXT

ALEXT QRZ Member

7. W7UUU

Sure - probably just as good as a zillion others out there.

Google "Baofeng UV-5R" - really cheap 2m (144 - 146 MHz) radio that would get you on a voice mode (FM) in your area while you're getting Morse code skills up - lots of hams have them - and lots of hams will bash "Cheap Chinese radios" but for around $20 you'd have a radio you could actually talk into, and very easily hook up with hams in your area who could help with your Morse skills and that QRP transceiver.... once you have your Tech license, you'd be totally legal to use a Baofeng or any other 2m/440 radio.

Just a thought....

You're going to pass just fine - I know it :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2SUB likes this.
  8. W7UUU

@ALEXT: What city do you live in? Or at least nearest big city? I will find the nearest amateur radio club and point you at it. Great way to get all this stuff worked out :)

Dave
    W7UUU

9. ALEXT

ALEXT QRZ Member

Plot twist! i already got one :)
    before you comment, yes i know im not allowed to talk yet. i only listen, and ive been searching the frequencies and found some interesting stuff to listen to so far.
    question: if i have a friend who lives within range and neither of us have out technician liscences (yet), could we move to an empty frequency and use that to talk to each other?

10. ALEXT

ALEXT QRZ Member

closest nearest city is boston, about 30 min away, so accessible. having a club would be cool :) the town i live in is Byfield, MA, north of boston.