ad: SteppIR-1

MIDWEST: It's already TORNADO SEASON!!!

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by WA6MHZ, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

"...possible tornado..."

Possible tornado? Sheesh, what else could it have been? I'm waiting for "the alleged tornado..."

3. KC0YEJ

KC0YEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Damaging straight-line winds can cause damage levels similar to tornadoes.

Brian

4. KD8OUR

KD8OUR Ham Member QRZ Page

there are numerous things that can cause destruction and still look like a tornado. powerful down bursts are very destructive.

i would say spring is starting to stake its claim. today it is 66 and we have already been seeing insects. gonna be a bad year for bugs.

5. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

It's called a NOAA weather radio they give you a good deal of advanced warning of approaching storms. However, they aren't much good for approaching earthquakes.:)

6. AA0CW

AA0CW Ham Member QRZ Page

When I lived in Arkansas I saw two tornadoes, they are indeed really loud. Now in Colorado all I have to worry about is tourists, and the occasional avalanche.

7. KC0YEJ

KC0YEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

How bad are the avalanches of tourists? Do they fall over each other and end up burying a hapless Coloradan?

Brian

8. W9OE

W9OE Ham Member QRZ Page

Well not quite. it only takes a few minutes to determine the difference if the damage was from a tornado or straight line winds.

9. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Last week we had one day at 55 degrees followed by a much cooler day followed by 6” of snow. Last night we had a genuine thunder storm with occasional gusts of wind. Today it is annoyingly bright out and still occasionally windy.

I've has to set my mountain bike up every time I let the dogs out today.

I got the bike out of the shed that last 55 degree day. I spent most of that day oiling it and putting air in the tires. I even rode it for an hour or so.

10. AA0CW

AA0CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah pretty much.

11. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We had thunderstorms roll through this morning, vivid cloud to cloud lightning with window rattling thunder. For a while, NOAA had the wide area weather net activated for areas west of here. Right now, we have several counties under Tornado Watch. Predicted local high temp in the mid 60's, with further storms, some potentially severe.

Thus, on Feb 29, we leap into Spring!

12. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Imagine a tornado of spiders. Black widow spiders.

13. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

"Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore!"

Glen, K9STH

14. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just discovered a cool feature of my new KWD V71A. I knew it received and decoded NOAA weather alerts. And I knew that if it received the alert tone, the NOAA freq would come on automatically. And I just experienced a demonstration of how it works.

As I was sitting here, minding my own, the radio suddenly switched to the NOAA freq and beeped out WX. The announcement of a Tornado Watch followed. So my county is under the watch until 9PM tonight.

15. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, those of us who do SKYWARN are usually somewhat aware of the weather around us, though I have to admit that this was too close, too early in the season for me. It's snowing here right now, but they were forecasting thunderstorms for us earlier. 'Thunder snow' is really something to see!

16. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Why couldn't if have hit Al Gore's house instead?

17. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Definately crazy weather. Harveyville isn't tooo far from where I live. Close enough that EMS from Topeka and surrounding area responded. Fortunately doesn't sound like lives were lost but a lot of property damage...

18. K8EEI

K8EEI Subscriber QRZ Page

What about the drivers out there ? Or the lunatics coming into work or school and shooting . No place is safe and I sleep well at night . We had a tornado here in 1985 . No one got killed but it destroyed some houses and businesses.

19. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love that kind of weather.
    We almost never get the good stuff here.

20. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I sure wouldn't characterize a Tornado as "good stuff". It has to be the most terrifying exeperience one can deal with......
    Next to being put in my GARAGE after dark! now THAT is TERRIFYING!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.