Michigan Snowfall Average - Nice Map

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by K8MHZ, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

Below is a map with the average yearly snowfall totals. I live in the little area on the west side that has a 100 inch average. Some years we have very little snow, others well over 100 inches. At the top of the state you will see an area with a 200 inch average. In that area is Calumet, the city where Michigan Tech is. The season of the Great Blizzard of 1978 they got 355 inches of snow. My friend Greg, now CEO of Scentlok, was attending school there at the time. They got 100 inches in one month that year. Muskegon got 52 inches of snow in four days during the blizzard. The low pressure cell that caused the blizzard remains the lowest non tropical pressure ever recorded in the mainland United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1978

We (Muskegon) got 174 inches in 1981-1982 and over 120 inches last year.

[​IMG]

2. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member

That's a nice map, I used to chat to a fella at Lake in the Woods which if my memory is still functioning is in your State

G0GQK

3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

If you are thinking of Lake of the Woods, That is in Minnesota on the US / Canada border.

http://www.lakeofthewoodsmn.com/

Yeah, I know, what's the difference?

Well, I think we have more Harleys here. And more beer tents. They have more walleye but we have our share here in Michigan. If you have never eaten walleye you have never had great fish. We have more sheep but theirs are more skittish.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

I've caught and eaten walleye lots of times. To me, it's just a fish.

GREAT fish is Sturgeon, because the roe is caviar. Yummy!

Pretty good fish is Nova Scotia salmon, because that's where Lox comes from. Also yummy!

To me, most whitefish including pike all taste the same; which isn't bad, prepared properly, but not great. I make it better by my preparation, which includes brushing it with butter and adding a multitude of spices -- and never overcooking it. Timing is critical with fresh fish.

5. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member

My memory says the real "Lake of the Woods" is in Canada.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.