ad: dxeng

Mic Wiring Codes Badly Needed for Kenwood MC-50 Microphone

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W9ASS, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
  1. W9ASS

W9ASS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Gents,

I am looking to find out which wire is which for a Kenwood MC-50 Desk Microphone. I have found schematics online, which could be helpful but in all reality I really need to find out which color is which. I have removed the 4-pin plug and found 4 wires: a shield, Red, Violet, and another one I cannot remember the color of at this time (yellow?)....I needed to find out which is PTT, transmit, audio, receive, etc..This would be of great value to me as I am looking to wire this up to a Non-Kenwood radio, and I have heard from several hams that these mics work well and are a budget version of the MD-1's that go for 100$+. I got mine for 30$....Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your kindness....
  2. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll post the info when I get a look at the schematics...but..if you have the mic readily available you may want to remove the bottom of the unit and have a look at the wiring.
  3. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W9ASS

Normally the G4WPW site is very good, but it does NOT have a color code, which is what I need.
  5. K4YDI

K4YDI Ham Member QRZ Page

MC-50 microphone

Post valid e mail address please or do a google search on MC-50.
  6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

You will find that the Japanese manufacturers have not been consistent in wire colors -- SO -- that approach is NOT 100% valid. How many times I have posted this comment?

I think it is about time you learn how to use a DVM or VOM -- to answer that question,
    instead of just ordering up you room service questions here at QRZ Q&A.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."
    Chinese Proverb

A Focus on Self-Sufficiency -- and not welfare

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  7. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed Greg, which is why I posted the G4 site. A DVM indeed would solve the issue.

Or, as was suggested, google it. The MC-50.pdf has the color code, but as Greg suggested, they are not always the same.
  8. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a lesson to be learned here. Over time mic cables become worn out and get replaced. The wire color as it relates to pin out can get changed in the process, so "standard color code" goes out the window. The procedure I use when rewiring a microphone to be used on another radio is to determine which radio the mic is presently wired for. Sometimes an easy task, some time difficult.. Using the pin out for that radio, I determine which color wire is used for what circuit.. I make note of that and THEN I remove the plug.

Here's a bit of information that will help you figure it out.. The audio lead (mic +) is usually the one that has the shield around it. This wire is usually white. That covers 1/2 of the wires in your mic. The 2 remaining wires are most probably the PTT control wires.. One of those could be a ground and the other is the PTT... My guess is (and that's just a GUESS) the shield and gnd were connected to the same terminal on the mic plug you removed, leaving one terminal unused..

9. W9ASS

Thank you for the info, as well as the the previous posters. I have but 3 wires to utilise, and one wire is not attached. In a Yaesu 700 series/FT-ONE, I find that I only need 3 wires, to be connected to pins 6, 7 and 8. True, colors do change per radio and microphone, maybe this wasn't the best determining factor?

I have since found the pinout correctly, and a plug will be on momentarily. Thanks.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

In addition to the above information, once you determine the mic is working properly, keep a permanent copy of the way you wire the plug for future reference. It will save the trouble of asking again in a few years if you again change radios or want to use the mic on a radio other than an Yaesu. (HINT: You may be able to tape a note or diagram to the INSIDE of the mic base, so you won't lose the information,
  11. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nick -

That is correct -- IF the radio has been unmodified.
    Problem with used amateur radio equipment is that you have unknown history (unless he kept good records).
    How often have radios been modified -- "open up their transmit" -- within minutes of buying a new radio.

Shared grounds between PTT and Microphone was common with 3-conductor 1/4 plugs (Collins and others).
    The problem you need to watch for is someone that has placed DC Voltage on the spare pin --
    to power a pre-amp in a base microphone OR power an elecret element in a non-Yaesu microphone.

BTW, Matt -- the weekly Monday evening Technical roundtable started at 8:00 PM on the
    W9DUP repeater (it is atop the Maple Street watertower) --- 145.430 MHz receive (minus 600 kHz transmit).

Current discussion is a problem with a Yaesu FT-8800

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  12. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Greg-- Ain't that the truth!! :) To me, opening up an old radio is just a glorified version of opening a box of Krackerjacks.. I never know what I'm gonna find inside.. :D

13. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Microphone connections

I'd just reverse engineer it . . . look up the schematic(s) of any of these:

Kenwood TS-520/530/820/830/120/130/180

Only four pins, two are ground, one is audio, and one is the PTT line (ground to transmit).

Then disassemble the microphone and see what color is hooked up where . . . I've done this for years on everything from Shure mics to left-over CB microphones.

Gary WA7KKP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.