ad: jbsims

Mic for TS-2000

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N0FPE, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

what is the best mic to use with a TS-2000 other than the stock hand mic?

Thanks Dan

2. W5LDA

W5LDA Ham Member QRZ Page

Dan

I am using an mc-60 on my ts2000 with great audio reports. Was told by several people my ssb sounds like fm. I run with the audio set at 70% with the mic amp on

kd5vsg

3. KF0RT

KF0RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Dan - Assuming the TS-2000 is similar to the TS-570, I've had good luck with the MC-60 also. The amplifier in the MC-60 is somewhat succeptable to RF feedback (a problem here), so I run it without the amp.

I've also run a non-amplified D-104, but not enough testing on that to form an opinion yet except to say that it does work and I've had no complaints. Again, this is on a TS-570SG, but the same Kenwood mics are used for both that and the 2000.

MC-60's can be found on eBay and other places. I tried to buy one new late last year and ended up cancelling my order after a lengthy wait. The guy at Gigaparts told me that Kenwood was having problems getting one of the parts. Presumably they're back in stock by now.

73, Rob

4. AI4IJ

AI4IJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll put in a third plug for the MC-60 mic. I use the same settings as VSG. I consistently get excellent audio reports. I don't think you could go wrong with it.

Of course, HRO, and others, were running specials where they included Heil Goldline mics with the TS-2000's. I imagine that someone will chime in with experience with those.

Richard
    AI4IJ

5. KF3EG

KF3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

MC 60 is they way to go, Heils make good door stops.

Jim

6. NZ3M

NZ3M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know three guys that use the Heil Goldline and they sound great. The 2000 has many features that can change the audio, wide, narrow, and bass settings etc.

If you are really worried about how you sound, you should listen to yourself with headphones hooked to another reciever. Then you can taylor things to your liking.

Dave

7. KF0RT

KF0RT Ham Member QRZ Page

The 2000 doesn't even require a separate receiver to do this... Problem is, we're not always the best judge of our own audio, especially in real time. Something about listening to your own voice. Should be good enough to hear any problems, though.

73, Rob

8. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys. I just picked the 2000. used but looks like new. and at 600 bucks less than new!!!! I think I will get a MC-60 as that seems to be the way to go!

Thanks Again!!!

Dan/NØFPE

9. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dan -

The MC-60 should work fine.  First, check to see if your MC-60 has batteries in its base (not powered by the radio) - this varies depending upon the radio the MC-60 is used with.
    ALSO - Double check the microphone plug wiring on ANY used microphone purchase - modifications (to work with other radios) are rarely documented by sellers.  

MODS.DK has the schematic and instruction manual originally shipped with this microphone.  This is will be very helpful for proper interfacing and operation.  Some of this information is also available at KENWOOD.NET
    http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ListManuals=kenwood

MODS.DK also has MC-60 notes for addressing RFI issues and adoption to non-Kenwood radios (e.g. Icom, Yaesu).
    http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ModelId=389

The Heil "GM' series microphone was provided "free" with new Kenwood TS2000 purchases about 18 to 24 months ago.  
    http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/gm.htm

You may wish to look at Heil Sound offerings - as well.
    http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/catalog.htm

w9gb

10. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For best results run at least 1500 watts while monitoring yourself on the other radio. Exact freq of course. Tends to work best with real expensive rigs........Icom 7800, FT-1000D etc.

Tom kcØw

11. N7DSW

N7DSW Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought an MC-80 with my rig, got good reports on the audio. Then I tried one of my impedance matched D-104s- Not quite as good. Then I connected a Turner +3, & got the the best unsolicited audio reports ever-
    Goes to show you never know till you try.

12. NZ3M

NZ3M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a realistic DX-390 with the RF gain as low as it can go. Works great.

The monitors in rigs are not really what you sound like on the air. The only way to know is with another reciever.

Dave

13. G0HIZ

G0HIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ts 2000 using mc60 mike

I am using the MC60 on my ts2000.
    It is fine on all bands except 20 meters where it appears that the fist mike is better?
    I use the amp on board the mike instead of the set.
    On 20 it appears rf is getting in on tests
    Anyone have any ideas or setting suggestions?
    Regards
    Dave G0HIZ.

14. W5LDA

Wow,,,4 years old.

There is a supposed fix for the rf problem and i forget all the details now. Something about properly grounding the shield in the mic if i remember correctly. I tried it and it did not work,so i got a heil pr40 and all problems disappeared.

15. WS2L

WS2L Guest

I used a Heil GM-4 on my TS-2000 and it had excellent audio. I would often get compliments on my audio and a small percentage of contacts asked if I was using a Heil mic. I now own the Heil GM-5, works great.

16. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Two comments:

1st, almost everybody I know is greatly surprised when they hear their own voice being played back to them. The main reason is that a great percentage of what we hear of our own voice is via bone conduction, rather than directly through the air. A normal microphone does not pick up any of that bone transmitted sound. Therefore, most people think there is "something wrong" with their rigs, and try to boost everything on the bottom end up. I am convinced that that is why so many of the ESSB crowd sound like they are transmitting from some kind of well or resonant chamber !

2nd, often RF feedback can be supressed by using very small value capacitors directly across the audio input and output leads in an amplified mic, and at least across the element in a standard dynamic mic. .001mfd is suggested as a starting point.

Hope this helps! 73, Jim

17. W5LDA

Jim,,, In your case,,,would that be boneheadedness?:p

18. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. The best investment most could make if they want to improve the way they sound on the air is a cheap tape recorder.

Speech therapists use them extensively to help people improve the way they sound to others.

Unfortunately cheap tape recorders are not the commodity items they once were, since almost everything's gone digital. A digital audio recorder's not bad, and one's built into your computer (the software's free), but I still use a tape recorder for this.

19. W6GQ

W6GQ Swap Meet Moderator QRZ Page

I have had the best luck with the MC-60 WITHOUT the batteries.

Also, if you want to hear what you sound like, go here

http://www.globaltuners.com/

Register and listen to a receiver that you can hear yourself, its kinda kewl!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.