MFJ Telescoping Masts

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WB2WFJ, Sep 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Cliff; Yep, I can tune es load both my doublets on all but 160 whar I have a MA160V vert for that.
    What are you running antenna wise...? yes, those G5RV designs are popular for coax lovers.
    I gave up using coax many moons ago, glad I did after learning the better (no loss) way to go using balanced line.

2. WB2WFJ

WB2WFJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks to all for the feedback. Several comments:

1. The suggested Maxgain alternative looks interesting and may be a better fit for my use. Thanks.

2. The G5RV is clearly a compromise but it appears to be the best available. I want a single antenna to cover 80-10 and will need to bury the feed line for some distance, through ground that will freeze as deep as 36" during the winter season.. My understanding is that 450 ohm ladder line should not be buried so coax is required. (Am I incorrect?) I would actually prefer the ladder line approach as I have used it before.

3. After reading the responses about the use of fiberglass and other masts, I have taken another look at my trees and there are one or two that might be sturdy enough to limit swaying in the wind to a manageable amount. If they do sway, I'm thinking that leaving enough slack in both antenna wires could avoid problems. Now I need to find a way to get the center of the antenna up as high as required.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In order for the antenna to work as designed, the balanced-line matching section needs to be left intact! It also needs to run in a straight line, perpendicular to the plane of the antenna, and as in the clear as possible. You can run any length coax you want, but the balanced-line section should not be altered and be deployed in the clear.

NH7RO likes this.
  4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

^Heed this advice by all means. (I would have put an exclamation point at the end of this statement but K8JD took all of mine and hasn't returned them)

5. WB5YUZ

If you are a CW op, I would be happy to send you dozen or so...

NH7RO likes this.
  6. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Dan but I already ordered more from Punctuation Depot. Never learned CW (and that will be one of my life's regrets, I'm afraid). Thanks anyway for your kind and generous offer.

Jeff

7. WB2WFJ

It’s never too late to learn CW. Give it a try.

8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Look into the Spiderbeam 12m HD mast. I own 2. They have a far more stout top piece, and are much stronger for a permanent install.

http://www.spiderbeam.us/

And they also have larger.

9. WB5YUZ

That's okay. But stay away from the cheap ones on e-bay. They are mostly re-marketed Alibaba finds...

10. WB2WFJ

Thanks. I really wasn't familiar with Spiderbeam even though I've seen their ads forever in QST. I'll look into it.