ad: SDRKits-1

MFJ magnetic rx only loop antenna

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N2DTS, Aug 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not tried to mount it sideways...
    You could do so easy with the MFJ since its rigid tubing...
    The nulls are off the sides so one null would be pointing down to the ground and the other up in the sky.
    The nulls are useful to null out a noise or unwanted signal they say..

If you wanted to mount it that way you could just make a pvc X with a pole in the center.

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

My homebrew one does OK, but much better when I have tested it outside, away from all the metal in the shack (transmitter cabinets, antenna feedlines, house wiring, metal shelving, etc.). It is unamplified and still delivers enough signal, but must be tuned to frequency, so if I had it outside I would have to go out and tweak it whenever I QSYed. I wonder how well those remote broadband pre-amps in the commercial units stand up to lightning? Almost anything I have that is the least bit delicate has to be isolated during thunderstorms or else it gets wiped out.

I found that out the hard way when nearby lightning destroyed the rare and expensive 200 μA "powerhouse" meter I use as an indicator on my remote tuner control panel, just from pick-up on the DC control line running from tower to shack. Luckily, Dennis was able to provide me a replacement, which I keep disconnected when not in use.

3. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't say Don, most have protection but how it would hold up to a lightning hit is unknown.
    MY MFJ loop currently has a preamp I got off ebay for under $20.00.

You can buy an entire antenna, amp, power injector for $35.00...
    If you disconnected the coax in the shack when not in use, would it still fry from a close strike?

In 45 years I have never had anything fail from lightning, low antenna's have some advantage I guess...