MFJ - 1263 Microphone Transceiver Switch

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by WH2HAO, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with this switch. I can not get it to work. The instructions on where to put the sets of jumpers is very vague. It has general recommendations for the Icom radio's , but it does not work. I want to hook up an Icom 756 Pro and an Icom 7000. The Mic won't key them both. Any ideas would be very helpful.
    Thank you.

2. WH2HAO

Has anyone used a Mic / Radio switch or should I get rid of it ?

Thanks.

3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

David -

I have glanced at the MFJ Instruction Manual for this product .... it is VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD in how to setup this product.
    The jumpers set the INTERCONNECT BETWEEN 8-wires of MICROPHONE and RADIO.
    Whether the MFJ-1263 product is defective -- I have NO IDEA.
    http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1263

However, based on your earlier difficulty with connecting a simple mono speaker to your Icom IC-756Pro, you appear to have some difficulty understanding the electronics/radio basics (or language).
    This MFJ-1263 product is shipped, by factory default, to work with LIKE RADIO and MICROPHONE (same mfg.). The complexity comes from playing MIX and MATCH, which requires knowledge beyond consumer/appliance usage.

w9gb

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  4. WH2HAO

Thank you. You are correct, I am having difficulty. It should be simple, but it just doesn't work. So It's either my lack of knowledge, which is my primary working theory now, or the product just doesn't work well. The jumper settings are just a suggestion based on the model per the instructions, so new radio's and old radio's don't seam to have the same settings even though they are both Icom's. The directions state to refer to the radio manual for the settings. I guess that is where I get lost, where in a radio's manual will it discuss Mic jumper settings ?

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ or I can not correct your cognitive, thinking, or mental difficulties ... an Elmer in Guam is really what you need, based on your own technical assessment.
    Amateur Radio is a technical hobby, BY DEFINITION since 1920s (it has never been a non-technical, consumer service) ... That requires basic electronics knowledge AND Desire/Ability to learn more.

Experiential tutoring (Elmers) are part of this process --- because technology continues to change and the Internet can NOT replace (and never will) that HANDS ON learning method/process.

The instructions and the VERY FIRST Pictorial diagram (factory default jumper settings) are VERY CLEAR.

1. Your Two RADIOS are ICOM. GET OUT YOUR MANUALS FOR BOTH RADIOS.
    IF the MICROPHONE PIN assignments (Pins 1 - 8) are IDENTICAL ... THEN Radio A and Radio B are SAME.
    IT DOES NOT. Jumpers are what MFJ uses, not Icom.
    MANUAL PAGES will show you RADIO MICROPHONE CONNECTOR ASSIGNMENTS by FUNCTION and CONNECTOR PIN number.

2. IF your MICROPHONE is ICOM and stated to work with BOTH RADIOS, THEN you should be able to plug this microphone into into either radio, by itself, with NO Adapter cables and WORK.
    IF this is NOT TRUE, then that is your initial problem.

w9gb

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that was uncalled for, as Greg W9GB has spent a lot of time on these forums helping others by virtue of enormous research that most could do for themselves.

This MFJ product requires NO modifications or jumper changes of any kind when used with transceivers that are all wired the same way, as Icoms generally are. Of course, products can be flawed, and that may be the case here. We don't have any way to know for certain without being there.

"Cockpit error" prevails and is a lot more likely today than it's ever been. I cannot envision ANY licensed amateur in 1960 asking how to hook up things. That was a day when if you didn't know, you did your own research and experimented and figured it out. I'm saddened the internet has become such a crutch.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  7. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KM5YE .. you just for curiosity sake, might take a look over the last 2 weeks at how much effort Greg has put into helping people. Greg has tried on several, occassions to help this guy out, and it appeqars to fall on deaf ears. Maybe you would like to travel to Guam and help him out!!

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like to. My daughter lived in Guam, working as a scuba instructor at PIR (Pacific Islands Resorts) and having visited her there, I wouldn't mind going back.
    :eek:

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't mind going back. But, I didn't live IN Guam. I lived ON Guam (Ike was President at the time).

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem here is a very basic one.
    The two radios have different mic connectors.
    The IC-7000 has an RJ-45 the IC-745(any version) has an eight pin circular.
    They should be jumpered differently in the box.

11. KM5YE

KM5YE Ham Member QRZ Page

[h=2]This message has been deleted by W4PG.[/h]ReasonNo personal attacks!

NO PERSONAL ATTACKS???? Perhaps you could pass THAT IDEA along to "Greg" who seems to be allowed to repeatedly insult even first-time questions made by new hams? I see it time and time again and he seems to have been granted immunity for whatever reason! I am NOT the only one who has noticed this happen! So admonish me --- you have the flamethrower --- but don't use the "NO PERSONAL ATTACKS" excuse when you don't place the same limitations on your obviously favored "Greg" who insults, hurts feelings and in general is a SOB with complete immunity. he may help many - but those he belittles zeros out the good he supposedly does.

It is not my intent to have myself tossed or admonished in PM's ............ but enough is enough; "Greg" does the same as I and he gets away clean!

Good Evening!

John / KM5YE

12. WD5JOY

WD5JOY Ham Member QRZ Page

John! Oh Oh. This won't go over well with the 'Favorite Sons' pals here on the QRZ! I know ya don't wanna get tossed off or even placed in the corner so just let it go. Greg ain't worth the typing. Others have tried and it does NO good! Sure he helps SOME and then TRASHES even more. he just don't like new amateurs who are not perfect. Forget it and go have fun! Other WILL tell you te same thing --- I GUARANTEE! I am OLD - but I still see what is REALLY going on in THESE cases!

You have not figured out NOTHING Greg does draws the wrath of the owners? He's a big-shot John -- you can't win against the big-shots. This one like all of them is "protected"! Ask around and see what other members have said; they don't even try any longer.

Let this one go; he sure ain't worth the effort. Few big-shots are don't ya know? Hi-Hi OM.

Don --- WD5JOY
    As senile today as I was on the last full day I remember!

13. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not all animals are created equally... :cool:

14. WH2HAO

Holy Cow !!.

I just had a simple question, I didn't think it would turn out like this. I thought that was what this forum was for, my mistake. I'm sorry Greg if I wasted your time and I promise not to ask stupid questions again. Or, feel free not to answer them if I do accidentally ask another stupid question. Maybe I'll just toss the radio in the garbage as apparently getting help is more than its worth as I am just a stupid POS..

Thank you Sue, I just checked, that was the reason it didn't work. The Mic's are not interchangeable for some reason. The 7000 Mic doesn't work with the 756 pro. So being of the same manufacture can still make it incompatible, if the radio's differ in age I am assuming. Thank you.

15. KB3ZGV

KB3ZGV Ham Member QRZ Page

WH2HAO, don't feel bad. I had to Google "MFJ - 1263 Microphone Transceiver Switch" just to see what it was and what it was used for.

16. WH2HAO

No problems.. .. It just shows that hams are not the friendliest of peoples to hang out with. I think that has been proven many times again on these forums, this is no different, lol. Anyway, if I can't be a successful ham with the help from my QRZ colleagues here, I can always go back to texting....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  17. WH2HAO

Thanks Bro !!

18. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Odd. Usually the difference is just the plugs. IIRC, the 756 uses a round 8-pin with a lock collar, and the 7000 uses an 8 pin modular, right?

If you use the 756 mic and radio, will the switch work?

19. WH2HAO

No, it does not. The Icom 7000 behaves differently than the traditional Icom's. That is my problem. I have no idea where to find the settings to make the 7000 work. I am actually thinking of throwing this radio in the trash can as I hate the 7000 so much. Look for it on ebay !!!

20. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Try the wiring for an IC-7200 or an IC-7410. they both use the same mic connector as your 7000.
    For those who may not know the new Icoms use an RJ-45 connector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.