Mexico's drug cartels build own national radio network

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by WF7A, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
  1. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

2. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Have they been issued with a call sign yet ? Don't complain about 'em or you might have Sancho Panza's boys make a visit, they donna like greengo's
  3. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

I wonder if they will eventually be the ones to issue XE reciprocal licenses? Or could align the 40 meter digital sub band a little bit better than it is now?
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember: I'm in Texas--they're already here!

If anything, their definition of a lid is most likely far different from ours.
  5. AF6OD

AF6OD Ham Member QRZ Page

I read the article, and they are doing a better job of camouflaging the towers.
    Check out this cell ph tower. I wonder where they get there ideas from. lol

6. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not that surprised. Out of necessity, Mexican drug cartels have developed a very-wide-area V/UHF FM digital and encrypted repeater system. Given the billions of dollars of drug money in their hands, it's not surprising that the narcotrafficantes could finance a repeater system out-of-the-box that we hams could only dream of.

Could we turn this dream of digital FM repeater networks into reality? I wouldn't look at this situation as a setback for hams. This is a time for innovation, something we hams are great at. While analog FM repeater systems have served hams well for almost fifty years, it is perhaps the time to move towards more bandwidth and signal efficient legal and unencrypted digital FM repeater networks. We've got the networks. Now it's a matter of converting to digital and strengthening the networks we have. It's a big undertaking. Then again, the switch from AM to FM on V/UHF didn't happen overnight either.
  7. W7DKK

W7DKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Just what is the neighbor with the huge antenna doing? Why is he up late at night? The UPS truck comes a lot.

How long before the possession of high-end handheld radio, powerful repeater and antennas are prima facia evidence of drug activity in this country?
  8. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

IDK about fixed operation but mobile and portable v/uhf operation does get certain individual law enforcement officer's attention as have ham radio license plates.
  9. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Legalize all drugs and cut out all of the BS. We have enough problems in this country I don't think we need to worry about what is happening in Mexico. Once all drugs are made legal this will cut off the cash head for the Cartels and they will disappear over a short period of time. This will also cut out all of the bought off LEO at all levels/bankers/judges/lawyers and all of the other bottom feeders (even the college educated ones) who have the anti drug facade going full tilt with 1 hand and skimming all of their illicit bribe/money laundering cash with the other. Any idiot can find any kind of drug in most cities in America today. That should be proof positive that the War on Drugs is a failed experiment and needs to be done away with.

The big Pharma companies are the biggest drug Cartels in the World. They cause just as many problems in this country with drug addiction to their pills, scam doctors who reap money selling prescriptions to the end user, then the illegal Cartels out there. Yet no one voices any opposition to these drug peddlers who run wide open 24 hours a day in this country.

If someone wants to destroy their life with drugs of any kind how are you going to stop them? Better to let them get their drug of choice be it food/alcohol/pot/cocaine/heroin or the man made compounds sold by Big Pharma. There use to be the Red light district in every city here in the USA. Gambling, hookers, alcohol/opium/cocaine/pot were all available for consumption by the end user. Why has this changed in this country when the Human animal's taste for these things hasn't and probably never will, IMO.
  10. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

The effect of legalizing all the narcotic drugs, Mike, is that they'll be much more affordable...the result of which is how much will drug abuse increase as a result the drugs being so affordable? With an increase in drug use we'll see more automobile-related accidents as well as a huge increase in health care money being spent on the drug users and related victims (say, from an auto accident.)

With more people on drugs productivity in the business-place will decrease as well; employers won't want drug users on their payroll so they'll fire them...which means they'll end up on the streets or on welfare and cost us taxpayers even more.
  11. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A short while ago, Michigan began allowing people to use 'medical marijuana'. The intent was to allow people to grow their own pot and smoke it, thus not having to pay the 'high' prices for smuggled pot, and not having to worry about getting in trouble for smoking it.

Here is what actually happened.

People started growing it and selling it to dispensaries. The quality was so good that it almost completely wiped out the smuggled pot trade.

But, the prices did not go down, they went through the roof. Dispensaries were getting 20 bucks a gram for pot, or $560 dollars per ounce. TEN TIMES what pure silver is worth.

The dispensaries are now getting shut down forcing the trade back underground, but at least the money is staying here in the state. There has been many hydroponic supply stores popping up selling all sorts of stuff to grow pot indoors with so there must be enough people doing it to keep them all in business.

Now the big poo-poo is that BATF considers having a card is the same as possession and if you get caught with a card (no pot, just a card) and a gun they will nail you with a federal firearms offense.

So, if coke and smack go the same way pot did, it will get more expensive, not cheaper, and people will pay the higher price for a better, US made product.
  12. W5INC

We see over 23K a year die in this country because of alcohol related car crashes. I'm suspecting in these crashes a certain percentage has other drugs involved also. Be it legal or illegal drugs makes no difference. You will never pass any kind of law that will make some people do what is Right. Such as not driving and drinking/drug use. People falling asleep/texting/talking on the phone also cause fatal car crashes too. I see plenty of texting/phone talking while driving here in the Houston 500 everyday. Nothing will ever fully protect you from other idiots out there in the World. Ask the 13 year old Amish girl who was killed by the idiot with the black powder gun in Pa.

Look at the Netherlands and see how the BS argument used to scare the American sheeple falls apart saying the doom will come if drugs are legalized. They have the lowest rate of any kind of drug addiction of any 1st World country, alcohol or otherwise. Lowest rate of teen pregnancy, high rate of productivity in their workforce and most crimes are of the petty theft kind. No killings over a $10.00 rock or officials being corrupt from bribe money and other BS that is associated with the War on Drugs.

Most health problems are associated with the things that are already legal in this country. Over 300,000 people die a year from cigarettes, over 100,000 a year from alcohol and less then 7,000 from illegal drugs. That seems like a very small number when compared to the other health problems in this country. How many people die or run up huge medical debts from the food drug that they abuse in this country. IMO, food is the most abused item on the list.

You say by legalizing drugs it will cost the taxpayers more. I don't know how this works but @ over $60,000.00 a year to house inmates in prison times over 2 million people locked up in this country that comes out to a high number. Add to that number the cost of the BS War on Drugs itself. Over 20 billion dollars last year alone and what was accomplished with all of that money? More of dancing with the Devil that you know then the one you don't. We have a whole sub culture in the younger generations that have been built on the BS drug war. What cost will this bring to the American taxpayer in the future when we keep locking up people by the millions with no end in sight. How much does this project cost the American taxpayer?
  13. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Good points, both yours and Mark's.

I guess I'm being dense--I still don't get how the price can go up if the drugs are made legal. I can see how prices are high for an illegal substance since you're essentially paying a premium for their service/product for something you can't easily get, but if a drug's legal and can be easily grown and/or accessed, why would it cost more? The only variable, as Mark said, is the quality of the product.
  14. W5INC

The price will go up in the short term only. Since it is still an illegal product it will still bring a high price. If made legal to grow, after a short time the prices will drop like a rock. More folks will be growing their own and more commerical growers will spring up, growing large lots to bring down the price. Medical MJ is a joke as you can see from Mark's comments, it is far from being legal, that is why it's price is still high. Some is transported to different parts of the USA where any possession of MJ is still illegal and the price still high.

Hospitals pay about $15.00 a ounce for pure cocaine. So much of it is available to the legal market, that is the price of it. Street market cocaine goes for more because it is illegal, plain and simple. The cost of Alcohol was the same way during/after Prohibition.
  15. K8MHZ

Where do you get that info?

I couldn't find anything on Google. $15 for an ounce of anything pharmaceutical seems incredibly cheap to me.
  16. W5INC

"Once the cocaine has been legally produced from the coca leaf, it is exported to various countries for medicinal use, basically as a topical local anesthetic (applied to the surface, not injected, only treating a particular area). In the United States the crystalline powder is imported to pharmaceutical companies who process and package the cocaine for medical use. Merck Pharmaceutical Company and Mallinckrodt Chemical Works distribute cocaine in crystalline form (Hydrochloride Salt) in dark colored glass bottles to pharmacies and hospitals throughout the United States. Cocaine, in the alkaloid form (base drug containing no additives such as hydrochloride in the crystalline form) is rarely used for medicinal purposes. Cocaine hydrochloride crystals or flakes come in 1/8, 1/4 and 1 ounce bottles from the manufacturer and has a wholesale price of approximately $20 to $25 per ounce (100% pure)."

Cocaine is very easy to produce and is easily obtainable for Big Pharma. Here is an article that has the price in the $20.00 to $25.00 range for their product. I am almost sure the price has dropped since the article was written, I will make sure and ask a friend who works in this Pharma field.

Cocaine has great medicinal properties such as relieving severe cases of RA, local anesthetic and it's vasoconstrictive qualities, that stops the flow of blood. The RA route has shown great promise to where severe RA patients experience almost full range of motion in their joints when a cocaine mixture is injected into their joints.
  17. K8MHZ

Thanks, but I was thinking of something along the lines (bad pun) of an actual list from one of the drug companies.

In 1980 I worked in an aerospace research facility and we had access to all of Merck's pricing schedules. At the time, they were selling cocaine for about 50 bucks an ounce. I would think after all these years, the price would have gone up like anything else.
  18. W5INC

I would have to think just from the supply aspect of the coca leaf production being increased hundreds of times over in the last 30 years, that would cause the price to drop. It is very simple to produce cocaine, super cheap also. That is why it can be made in the very primative conditions you see on the tube. Rocket science is not needed for this to happen.

Since these Cartels are thriving and have plenty of money directly from Americans, that must tell the stupid American public 1 thing. That a very large percentage of Americans who do use illicit drugs use them in moderation, aren't in jail/prison and hold jobs to support the Cartel's members lavish lifestyle and their minions on both sides of the Law. Where else does all the money keep coming from, year after year, to the Cartels and their minions?
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.