Metron Magnus MA1000B

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KD9NKJ, Aug 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All right, I'll be the "heavy" here. First you confused rf drive power with current draw, then series circuits with parallel. I'd caution you against going to QRO with an amplifier at this time; wait until you've digested a bit more technical info.

2. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

First off I said that we only just purchased it. Secondly, notice I said that my wife and I did this. She has a masters degree in safety engineering, so I believe it qualifies her for knowing a bit more about this subject than most others. Maybe including you. But thirdly, I merely was asking a question here on the forum regarding the aspects of the amplifier. Further if there are details about it that we should hear from others who already own one.

You imply that we're a couple of juvenile idiots who just were given the keys to a dangerously fast sports car. Thus that we need to grow up and mature some before operating it by saying we need you to be the "heavy". And that we need you to scold us and therefore publicly chastise us by saying that we need "digested a bit more technical info", prior to it's purchase or use.

Why is it that there are several who choose to inject negativity into threads on this website, rather than meaningful and helpful advice. When it was merely the intention of only getting just that all along. Meaningful and helpful advice, that is. Why do people feel they need to be putting others down by insinuating and assuming they don't even need to be asking such questions to begin with? As if it's above you guys to even be having person's like us here to begin with.

We are new to QRZ and are making a genuine attempt to gain knowledge from those who we thought could give it back in return. We aren't asking for scold and ridicule here. Debasing judgment and childish banter as in many other cases. Merely good, helpful advise that aids in one's further education regarding this neat and exciting hobby. For those of you who feel the need to act as the "Alpha Omega of Radio Engineering" and only wish to inject derisive comments, please keep them to yourself. Otherwise kindly add to the threads the meanful advice we're so seeking.

K7JOE and N8VIL like this.
  3. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

ya, just ignore him. armchair qb. Get out there and give it a try. That's what ham radio is all about. Try, learn, try some more, learn some more.

I think you made a good choice. the old Metron is a great amp. They dont like high VSWR so you might want to get an antenna tuner behind the amp to ensure a good match to your antenna . the 13.8VDC amps are loads safer than poking around in a high voltage tube amp...

have fun.

PS I'm very near you, in Bloomington IN, probably 20 minutes drive time or so and so if I can ever be of help in the way -- elmering, station setup, on air stuff, pls let me know. Always like to help new hams get on the air.

PSS - Stu is a great elmer ! Glad you grabbed his tower etc !!

4. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well thank you Joe. We may just call on you sometime in the near future. Anyway 73 and appreciate the help.

5. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

K0MB is offering some good advice. He is not an "armchair QB". The user exhibits a lack of basic electronics understanding. That's not a crime, but a person without experience handling very high power equipment could prove dangerous.
    It would be a good move to enlist help from a local ham before attempting this project.

(now, waiting for sticks and stones coming my way)

KS4W, WR2E and WA9SVD like this.
  6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

They often make GREAT smoke generators! Sometimes both at the same time:oops:!

Unless SPECIFICALLY designed to be paralleled, do not even THINK (much less try) tying supplies together this way! (Otherwise, you will be back here shortly, with the question asking "how do I repair a smoked power supply? Or supplies?')

Answer: It will NOT be cheap or easy, if even possible to repair. And still not be able to parallel the two supplies.

WR2E likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

Not just ANY "local ham." but preferably one WELL versed in using high power devices from a mobile (13.8-14.5 Volt) source, which requires VERY high current. ( I know of one "elmer" who said single 18 AWG was good enuf for a 100 Watt transceiver from the battery to the trunk...)

Realistically, a high end "car stereo" place may be the best resource for high current wiring. Don't take their word, but they can be helpful.

8. WA9SVD

In some ways, high current is at LEAST as dangerous as "high voltage" circuits. HV circuits often, if not usually, have interlocks in place to prevent electrocution due to the HV. I don't know of any current limiting devices, which can inflict injury or worse if a short circuit should occur.

(JUST IMHO, I would rather "go" with one tremendous HV jolt than have to cook in my own juices for hours at just a high current flow.... YMMV:()

WC5P likes this.
  9. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

Neither sounds appealing.

10. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

The 15V Meanwell 1000 W is $140 and is adequate for SSB. If you're going to run digital the 1500 W provides 100 A but is almost twice the price.
    The supply is adjustable. At 75 A 15 V will drop to 14.7. You can adjust it down to 14 or 13.8 at the amp...if that's what it wants.
    I would run the maximum specified voltage and maybe #6 or #4 in order to get the power supply fan noise moved away. This company makes a more expensive supply that can be run in parallel. The 1000 W is adequate for my 500 W (8 x 2sc2978) amp to make 500 W on CW. -Bob

https://www.mouser.com/MEAN-WELL/Power/Power-Supplies/Switching-Power-Supplies/_/N-axgkh?P=1z0zl9bZ1yxt7erZ1yxt78xZ1yot97pZ1yot97n