Metron Magnus MA1000B

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KD9NKJ, Aug 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

No problem, just wanted to clarify!

I don't think you mean 'in series', but rather in parallel, but be VERY CAREFUL! Many (perhaps MOST) power supplies can not be connected in parallel without damaging one or both of them. Make sure that the manufacturers directions specifically say that this can be done and follow the instructions carefully!

Are you sure you need 100 Amps? and if so, 8 ga wire is probably not big enough.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed, you'd want parallel operation, not series operation, and make sure the power supplies are designed for that; some specifically are, most are not.

If they have "remote sensing" terminals and instructions how to use them when using supplies in parallel, that should work.

3. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I watched a YouTube video of the installation procedures, and I'm using the manufactures specs. My Elmer has walked me through the procedure on paper and has said that providing I do not have the wires over three feet in length, I should be fine. The manufacturer has indicated the same in their video.

4. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If the power supplies output the same voltage, they should draw equal current. If not, adjust for exact same output voltage.

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to see the video.
    Can you post a link?

I quickly found a link to video showing four in parallel but could not find a manufacturers website.

Edit: never mind, found it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

In theory that is true.

But not all power supplies will survive being paralleled.

7. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree with that statement and raise you one. Most power supplies will self-destruct if they are not designed to run in parallel and/or are not hooked up properly.

The best bet is to get 1 supply that will deliver the goods.

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I've seen about the Megawatt supplies this morning, it does appear that these can be safely paralleled.

I'm sure that what FVJ said is true regarding these units, the output voltage must be carefully adjusted to be exactly the same otherwise one supply will 'hog' the current.

Whether or not supplies will self destruct when connected in parallel depends on circuit design and MOST are not designed for such use.

KD2ACO likes this.
  9. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, same one I saw. Glad you found what you were looking for. I'm hoping they won't be so noisy with just two.

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully you got the newer ones with the quieter fans!