Metron Magnus MA1000B

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KD9NKJ, Aug 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Wife and I bought us one of these Magnus MA1000B's from an old ham radio operator friend of our's. We gave $500 for it. We were assured it operates perfectly and has had the 10/12 mod installation already done. We were told to drive it at 30 amps input for 550-650 watts output. I was reading some stuff online about it, and most recommended around no more than 55-60 amps input. The owners manual says 70 amps max input.

My biggest question is, what will it's output be at 60 amps input? Also I installed two cooling fans atop the heat sink. They operate on 12vdc. If I have them connected off of one of the two megawatt 700-12-50 amp power supplies, at 13.6 vdc output, will they create any static in the radio? They say they are super quiet fans and low static corded. I'm still waiting on the power supplies to arrive, but from what I can see from connecting them to a 12vdc battery, they're unnoticeable.

I'm using 8 gauge stranded copper wire to connect the power supplies to the amplifier. For 100 amps of continuous power. Will this also operate and charge my battery bank at the same time while operating the radio? The manual says it will operate completely fine on 75 amps.

I'm told this amplifier is practically bullet proof if we don't over drive it and keep it cool.
    Is this a good amplifier overall? We're only planning on using it to contest and DX on 20 and 40 meters for now. We will be using it with our Kenwood TS-2000 and are hoping to avoid being stranded in the pile ups. Any advice from you hams who've owned one of these? They are somewhat rare to find being sold anymore. Any hints as to mic settings? We hope to use it with a MC-90 desk mic.

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I own one. 40-50 watts input is the max. I drive mine with 35 watts & get 450 watts out.
    Ed

3. KD9NKJ

Thanks Ed, I'll sure heed your comment and take those values into consideration.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Tim, what do you mean by "amps input"?

5. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Being 'conservative' is a very good idea. You will only get the quoted full-output when having a "perfect" system, which most of us never have. Manufacturers typically have a built-in "fudge factor" (safety margin) for their products. There's no standards for that, just whatever they decide is 'best' for their product. How...why does the @#$ font change in the middle of things??

6. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

30 amps will not support 550-650 watts output. A 50 amp power supply will not support it either. You need a 70 amp power supply. DX Engineering has a new Astron RS-70 power supply for $359 shipped. Use nothing smaller than two #6 gauge wire or four #10 gauge wires (two in parallel) to feed the power supply output to the amp.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OP was confusing "amps" and "watts" with respect to power.

Driving power isn't amps, it's watts. Power supply loading and provision is amps.

Floating a big battery on the power supply probably works okay. The Metrons were certainly "mobile" amplifiers and as I recall could only run "full power" at about 14Vdc supplied (not 12Vdc), so guys mounting them in the trunks of their cars would use very heavy wiring. My friend Mel WB6FDR (now W6FDR) had one in his trunk for years, going back to the late 1970s.

To run 500W output power it should draw about 72A at 14Vdc.

KW6LA and WA7PRC like this.
  8. KD9NKJ

The amount of watts one would use to drive it from the radio. Like say if I were using 100 watts barefoot, but with the amplifier I should only input 50 or 55 watts max. Sorry, I think I'm saying it right. Still new to all these technical terms.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  9. KD9NKJ

I meant to say "watts input". Sorry.

10. KD9NKJ

I am going to be using two 50 amp power supplies in a series for 100 amps. The wire is #8 gauge. I'm told I should be able to get at least 550 watts output on only 30 watts input from the radio. Sorry I worded my original posting wrong. I do that sometimes. I experienced a concussion during my military service. Several years ago.

I sometimes get what I'm trying to explain, all twisted around. At the time I'm thinking the words I'm using are the right ones needed. Often it should read something else entirely. Eventually I'll get out what I'm meaning to say. I'm often driving my wife batty because I have her so confused it ain't funny. Sorry for any confusion.