Men Behaving badly

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3MVF, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N3MVF

N3MVF Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a movie I believe called men behaving badly.  Well, fits the etiqutee or lack there of on the FM birds.  Every pass it's the same 4 or 5 stations that have websites that show off there gear and power that make the FM sats their personal repeater.  What amazes me is that I hear QRP calls, portable calls, mobile calls, just get tramped on by the same operotors saying good evening Bill, good evening David, good evening Moe, Good evening Larry etc, (names have been changed to protect the guilty)  

But, the other day, I heard a QRP portable giving his call sign over and over.  The same few stations continued to dominate the bird so it was their roundtable.  Here's the point that blew me away....I looked up the callsign of the QRP station.....a technician.  The callsigns of the round table.....extra's.  Technicians get VHF and UHF and Extras have the whole band but they can't give the bird up for some technician on a limited budget to make a contact.

If I roughly add up the value of my 2 eggbeaters, LMR-400 and 600 coax, SSB electronics preamps, radio etc....I too am into a thousand bucks or more.

All I ask is that others can enjoy their hobby and I just try to make one new contact at a time and back out for the next guy.  Guys, just listen long enough to let the QRP or portable or Elmer get in.  I showed my nephew twice the birds to get him started on the Tech. Afer 2 times he noticed the same callsigns and asked me if you have to belong to the club that launched the satellite!

In the words of a famous California criminal that was portrayed as a victim...."Can't we all just get along". RK

73's and happy hunting
    Greg

2. N7WSB

N7WSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've noticed this lately - only in the last few months. Used to be one could make contacts easily no matter how much power you are running - I recorded a pass about a month ago though that was really a mess - ever since then its been that way.

There's definately a trend in amateur radio - the easier a mode is to operate the more people swarm into it. I mean a year ago people didn't believe me when I told them that FM satellites were easy to use - so I started showing people (mainly as a way to get people interested in amateur radio). Probably a mistake [​IMG].

3. WB2GOF

WB2GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, without naming the alleged perpetrators, it is highly unlikely that they will see these postings and recognize themselves as the ones behaving badly. A more direct approach is necessary to modify their behavior. Perhaps a polite but firm QSO with them under normal circumstances would be more appropriate.

4. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

I made it a point when I was operating to make one or two QSOs and shut the heck up unless someone called me...  but you're right, after a few times I noticed it was always the same few ops monopolizing the bird.  I thought maybe it was just me being overly sensitive, or maybe the new antenna wasn't working well on 2M transmit.  I finally quit working them for a while, couldn't break through for love or money.  I'm not running thousands worth of gear, but I was definitely able to work them with no problem from my mobile parked in the driveway.

I have noticed that daytime passes during the week (when most people are at work) are easier, but of course it's tough to get out and work them much then.

Dale

5. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n3mvf @ July 17 2002,20:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In the words of a famous California criminal that was portrayed as a victim....&quot;Can't we all just get along&quot;. RK[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I think you have attributed this quote to the wrong guy.  It was Reginald Denny, the innocent bystander who was ripped from his truck in a traffic jam and beaten by black protesters because he was white, who said this in a telivision interview in an attempt to cool the racial violence.  I think you are confusing him with the oft-arrested and convicted criminal Rodney King.  Even though Rodney the Rodent was guilty he did not deserve being beaten by the cops.  Punishment is to be dealt out by the courts after being judged by a jury of peers NOT taken out by brass-knuckled thugs who happen to have badges.

I agree with your post about the greedy Extras not letting the Techs on the birds.  The real problem is that they don't even consider Techs to be human much less hams.  It is easy to treat someone like crap if you believe in your heart he(she) is merely sub-human filth.  The problem is deep-rooted in the CW debate.

Jim - KB9YFI

6. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to remember a joke &quot;who's who in amateur radio&quot; article that has been floating around for years that explains the situation....

Here it is:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Who's Who In Ham Radio License Classes

ADVANCED:
    Leaps tall buildings in a single bound;
    Is more powerful than a locomotive;
    Is faster than a speeding bullet;
    Walks on water, and gives policy to GOD.

GENERAL:
    Leaps short buildings in a single bound;
    Is more powerful than a switch engine;
    Is just as fast as a speeding bullet;
    Walks on water if the sea is calm;
    Talks with GOD.

CONDITIONAL:
    Leaps short buildings with a running jump AND favorable winds...
    Is almost as powerful as a switch engine; Is faster than a speeding BB;
    Walks on water in an indoor swimming pool;
    Talks with GOD if special request is approved.

TECHNICIAN (Old):
    Barely clears a quonset hut;
    Looses tug-of-war with a locomotive;
    Can fire a speeding bullet;
    Swims well;
    Is occasionally addressed by GOD.

TECH-PLUS:
    Runs into buildings;
    Recognizes locomotive two out of three times;
    Is not issued ammunition;
    Can stay afloat with a life preserver;
    Talks to walls.

NOVICE:
    Makes high marks on the wall when trying to leap small buildings;
    Is run over by locomotive;
    Can sometimes handle a gun without inflicting self-injury;
    Talks to animals.

TECH:
    Falls over doorsteps when entering buildings;
    Says, &quot;Look at the choo-choo&quot;;
    Wets himself with a water pistol;
    Plays in mud puddles;
    Mumbles to himself.

AMATEUR EXTRA:
    Lifts buildings and walks under them;
    Kicks locomotives off the track;
    Catches speeding bullets in their teeth AND EATS THEM;
    Freezes water with a single glance;
    THEY ARE GOD!

Author Unknown; But rumor has it, that he has been demoted to 11 meters and is now a CBer,
    he can occasionally be heard Eastbound and Down!
    In addition...

NO CODE EXTRA:
    Flaunts honorary degree in &quot;Tall Building Jumping&quot;;
    Exhibits powerful ulterior &quot;Loco Motives&quot;;
    Attempts to avoid speeding bullets;
    Is able to &quot;Pass Water&quot;, usually without difficulty
    Denys the existance of GOD; Cohort of CBers

Temporary Operating Suffixes

· General - /AG
    · Advanced - /AA
    · Extra - /AE
    · No Code Extra - /AH [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Too bad so many &quot;extras&quot; believe this way...

7. K9PO

K9PO Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first got started in satellites oh so long ago, 4 months. I tried them all Fo20/29, RS12/13, AO40, etc. and even Uo14. At first I was not too sure about the FM sats as my sat. elmer told me they were dominated by several station or QRM'd by clueless ops who would call CQ over and over but not hear anything becasue their system was deaf.

But I did it anyways and at first I had a bit a fun. Almost got VUCC on UO14! But I don't like the quickie QSOs very much, especially when you call a station, another stations then does not even wait for you to hear if you get a reply and they start calling a third station. Alot of rude people and far too many just saying good evening to their other buddies even thought one of the SSB sats is over head and could be used for a real QSO.

I now rarely use UO14 or SO41, too much agrevation for something that is supposed to be fun. It is too bad that AMSAT wants more of these types of birds in the air.

Scott
    K9PO

8. KC0KVU

KC0KVU Ham Member QRZ Page

hey scott, glad you brought up the vucc. Is the VUCC satellite award a &quot;per-satellite&quot; award, ie 100grids using only SO-41? Or is it 100 grid squares using any satellite available?

Adam, KCØKVU EN1Ø

9. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

100 grids by any means possible.  I plan to use two or three birds, a beam antenna and whatever else I can figure out.

My only question is this: For 2 meters or satellite, you need 100 grids.  For 70cm you only need 50, for 33cm it's only 25 (I think, it's moot since I don't operate above 70cm).  I wonder if those can be combined, for example 50 on 2 meters and 25 on 70cm?  Probably ought to email ARRL about it.  I'm just curious.

By the way Adam, EN10 would be a new grid for me if you want to give simplex a try one of these days. I'm at EN11vf, right on the Douglas-Sarpy line in west Omaha.

Dale

10. KC0KVU

KC0KVU Ham Member QRZ Page

Eech!...I don't forsee the combining of bands for VUCC being likely!  A reply from the ARRL, however, would certainly be interesting to see.  I wonder if you could get 2.4ghz VUCC using wireless lan equipment!  [​IMG]

As far as simplex, I'd be happy to oblige.  I'm trying to figure out what I want for a QSL card, so I may be a wee bit slow in that aspect.  But we still only live down the road from each other, so to speak.  I have to move my radio back into my apartment anyway.  When I get all set up I'll drop you an email and we can coordinate ourselves.  I live on the 3rd floor of our building w/a 5ele yagi pointing in your general direction.  Chances are good for a quality qso!  

If you want to give a shot with another antenna for satellite work, let me suggest the Texas Potato Masher.  The performance is great!!  The antenna is quasi omni-directional and I've been able to hear LEOs on passes as low as 2 degrees.  Its very easy to build and the supplies are cheap to boot!  Without coax, you could feasibly put this together for under $7.  Drop me a line ( kc0kvu@yahoo.com ) and I'll delve into how to build it.

Adam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.