ad: elecraft

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by W5BIB, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:confused: What does MEMORIAL DAY mean to you? FYI;... ...A three day weekend? ...or something more. INDY 500?,... B-B-Q?... Or, a SALUTE to our fallen comrades. R.I.P. "you are not forgotten"
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I work on Memorial Day so it's no holiday for Yours Truly. However, I will take time out to give tribute to our fallen heroes...and they are all heroes, giving their lives so selflessly.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Memorial day is the one day of the year when we recognize the freedoms granted to us in exchange for those who gave up their own lives fighting for these privileges, and yet we spend the rest of the year giving away those freedoms gained at the airport checkpoints.

Well nice chatting, but I have to "celebrate" the occasion by going to a memorial day sale now.
    I bet these people who died, had no idea they created another consumer shopping holiday.

..Sad really.
  4. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had family members in almost every war since the revolution and lost a lot of friends in Nam - god bless them all, and I hope we never forget what they fought for.
  5. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

To me, memorial day is about honoring our soldiers.
  6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

...and to host sports events, have picnics and barbecues.
  7. W4HAY

W4HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a day to honor those who defend our freedoms and curse the politicians and bureaucrats who keep trying to take it away from us.
  8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a day when I stop and reflect a bit on those who serve, and have served this country to protect it from invasion by a foreign force. While I often disagree with where they are sent I still respect them for putting their lives on the line.
  9. N5XM

N5XM Ham Member QRZ Page

My Dad was a Marine Sgt. in WW II. I've met many Veterans who were on the beach or in the air at Normandy. I worked for an Ortho Doc, so we had many old timers and talked to many in depth. The same with Veterans of Korea and Vietnam. This kind of courage and sacrifice is absolute. Sue, I agree with you about how we use our troops and where we use them. I'm a War historian of sorts, and I agree with Einstein's remark, "If WW 3 is a Nuclear holocost, WW 4 will be fought with sticks and rocks." It's a great Holiday.
  10. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was growing up, Memorial Day started about 6:00 AM with a number of flowers, plants, etc., being loaded into the trunk of the car. Then, my parents went by my grandmother's house and she was added to those in the vehicle. The entire morning was spent driving all over northwestern Indiana putting those flowers and plants on the graves of departed relatives.

After lunch, my father and uncles listened to the Indianapolis 500 on the radio.

Although 30 May was declared "Memorial Day" by General Logan (in the Grand Army of the Republic General Order #11 in 1868), other "Memorial Days" had already been declared in several states which had been in Confederate States of America. The actual date of these varied all over. These days were known as "Confederate Memorial Days" and were celebrated as a different event in a couple of states until at least the 1960s. Several states changed the date of their Confederate Memorial Day to 30 May to coincide with the "Yankee Memorial Day".

Members of the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars try to place a small United States flag on the grave of every veteran (from the Revolutionary War to the present). The Sons of Confederate Veterans try to place a small Confederate Naval Jack or Battle Flag (these flags are different although both have a blue cross of Saint Andrew with white stars and a red field on them with the Naval Jack being rectangular and the Battle Flag square - this flag is often, incorrectly, called the "Stars and Bars" which is of a completely different design and is also known as the "First National") on every Confederate veteran's grave. In this area, for a number of years, the SCV placed Naval Jacks on the graves of black Confederate veterans (yes, there were a lot of blacks who served in the Confederate Army) in cemeteries that were basically black cemeteries. Then, certain groups started complaining and even attempted to get an injunction against the SCV to prevent this placement. Not having the funds to fight this in court, the SCV stopped placing the flags. However, a number of the descendants of these veterans actually praised the SCV for placing the flags.

Unfortunately, these days, the vast majority of people only think of Memorial Day as a day off from work to be celebrated with picnics, drinking, and so forth.

Glen, K9STH
    Former Commander of the Department of the Southwest
    Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
  11. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Memorial day is about remembering FALLEN soldiers.

Veterans day is about honoring soldiers that DID NOT FALL in battle!

Something that is very confused these days. It amazed me, as a veteran, the company i used to work for would give me the day off honoring those who died in service to our country (understandable), but wouldn't give me the day off honoring those that didn't! Which I was one.

I work for someone else now. I get both days off.
  12. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds a lot like ANZAC Day - 25th April.
  13. AJ4CU

AJ4CU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said! I too am a survivor, USMC SSGT, and I find it sad how many people don't have a clue!

Anyway I will spend Monday at the Battleship, USS North Carolina, and then be stopping at the DAV and Legion and VFW to lend a hand and hoist a cold one to their memory.

Remember to look over your shoulder for those who did not return and gave the ultimate sacrifice, let them know we vets have not forgotten and will greet them one day when it is our turn to join the final bivouac.......As god is my witness I will cherish their memory and keep it close to my heart.
  14. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I figure if we have to ask what Memorial Day means, then we may have already forgotten.
  15. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

According to the banner ad below it's a good day to buy a mattress. :(
  16. N1JGE

N1JGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to know just how much is taught in schools if anything at all.
  17. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,I've learnt something!

I always thought the USA had their major commemoration of the fallen on 11th November--Remembrance Day,& that we were the only "odd ones out",with our main day being Anzac Day.

Of course,the WIA "Remembrance Day" contest is held in August,on the nearest weekend to VP Day,just to be completely different!

18. W2ILP

W2ILP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a veteran and a member of the American Legion. I should have marched with them today but I'm no longer able to walk without pain. I did display the flag of our nation today.
    Legionnaires honor U.S. military people who have died in all of our wars, as well as the POWs and MIAs who might still be alive somewhere, at every meeting. We never forget our comrades in arms.
    Many of our wars could have been avoided and a book about some of the bad judgements pertaining to foreign policies and US involvements up to the present time makes me wonder. Rachel Maddow does not blame our military personnel as much as she blames our contractors and mercenaries for committing war crimes.
    Will we now get our armed forces involved in Syria? Will we continue to protect Israel at any cost? Will we leave Iraq and Afghanistan without further loss of our fighting forces?
    One would think that this century of rapid communication would prevent wars. We can now see pictures of dead and mutilated children in Syria taken with digital cameras and transmitted on the Internet. This can't just be shrugged off as propaganda....but should we put our armed forces in danger of fighting Assad and Hezbollah? Where will that leave us with the rest of the Arab world...who will never forget the civilians that we killed in Iraq and Afghanistan...etc...?
    Read "Drift" by Rachel Maddow my friends. You may not agree with all she says about our past presidents of both parties...but a lot of it is not just spoken as a liberal, which Maddow is, but as a Humanist.
    Wex, w2ilp (I Like Patriotism)...and (I Like Peace)
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  19. AJ4CU

AJ4CU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W2ILP said,
    "Where will that leave us with the rest of the Arab world...who will never forget the civilians that we killed in Iraq and Afghanistan...etc...?"

Really? what about all the US civilians that have been killed in the name of islam? do we just shrug that off? or get some PAYBACK!! I am for eliminating all islam from the face of the planet, call it islamocide.... I also have my issues with israel, what exactly do they give the US in return for the assistance we provide? All I can recall is them spying on us...Let them tend to themselves as well...
  20. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Paybacks are HELL"...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.