ad: Alphaant-1

Meet the judge who codes — and decides tech’s biggest cases

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8JEA, Oct 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on the article, there's a lot to like about him. Down to earth and unpretentious.

2. W9FTV

Unrelated, but Chip, get on LOTW please. :D

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep paper logs...I know; that doesn't make any sense. I also have a library of 4000 books... tree huggers hate me.

4. W9FTV

Luddite! :)

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

;-)

6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

What side were you on then?

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The judge is the MAN!

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a teen...the world was just a crazy place that one viewed vicariously from my standpoint, and listened to AM radio. Defining point of the period: the songs 'Timothy', and 'DOA' by Bloodrock....Janis Joplin graduating from a meth addict (in the 60s! apparently this is not new) to a heroin OD...

Assumed that adults knew what they were doing.

Bad assumption, then and now:)

But the DX was amazing;-)

W9FTV likes this.
  9. MI0YLT

MI0YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Rage against the machine and be a ham ahhh doesn't work

10. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes sir. I was there in college in the 69-73 time frame. Demonstrations VS the war every week and although those guys without deferments were serious, most guys just went to get chicks and after demonstrations they were randy as hell. I had a student deferment which I gave up in 1972 to be in Nixon's lottery. The only lottery I ever won. My birthday was drawn 318th which meant everybody born on the birthdays from 1-317 had to go before me. Sans WW3 I was safe and got on with my life.

I was AM radio in those days working on the air for one of 3 rock stations in New Orleans. The music was unparalleled. My kids grew up listening to my music and they love it. I am working on the grandkids now.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I managed to stay one toke --under-- the line:)

Now my tokin buddies have horrible chronic illnesses, or are dead, or alcoholics. NOT hams! They get mad at me because I don't look 20 years older than my age---like them. Weird world...

I met Janis Joplin, walking in Harvard Square in the summer of 1970. I told her I wished she was my sister (I was 15). She said 'you sweet lil muther*^*&^*'!!" Interesting term of endearment.

12. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Very very cool! I am jealous! Being in the radio game I got to meet a lot of folks. My favorite memory was Tina Turner (along with Ike). Biggest waste of skin Kris Kristofferson. Never came close to meeting Janis Joplin, Grace Slick, Joan Baez.

Hey they tell me I met Gary Cooper when I was 5.

W1YW likes this.
  13. K0PG

K0PG Ham Member QRZ Page

My good friend Jim Lloyd, then WA9EKD
    had the same Hallicrafters setup with a 40 Meter dipole. He bought the equipment at Sears in 1962. He kept his shirt on.

73, Tim K0PG (then WA9BTY

W1YW likes this.
  14. VK5FUSE

VK5FUSE Ham Member QRZ Page

great read
    guaranteed.
    :)73 all.

15. VK5FUSE

VK5FUSE Ham Member QRZ Page

I think most Hams have a bit of Nurd or Geek in them
    & There’s Nothing wrong with that,
    Ever
    notice the Nerds & Geeks always get the best looking Girls
    & There’s Nothing wrong with that .Other guys are like
    wtf !" how did he get her". Some times its pays to be a bit
    of a Geek .

definition of "nerd" or "Geek" is a four-letter word with a six-figure income:)