ad: chuckmartin

MDSR Group Predicts second Sporadic E opening for 6m

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, May 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Everybody;

If you live in the southern USA, Africa and Europa the Sporadic E cloud that happened on the 26 of May was amazing. It opened up 6m for intercontinental communication!

[​IMG]

Every time the WSA-ENLIL Solar Wind Prediction predicts that the path of earth will cross the solar wind plasma stream from the sun Es will occur. The intensity of the Es cloud depends on how fast the space around earth transitions from regular space to strong plasma density.

You can actually predict the path of these streams a few days in advance. So look at the website and make your own prediction. You can even baffle your fellow Hams by predicting the next Es cloud. What you are looking for is a steep increase and spike in the plasma graph for earth.

The WSA-ENLIL Solar Wind Prediction Center can be viewed at:
    http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/wsa-enlil-solar-wind-prediction

You can also go and join the MDSR Yahoo user group at:
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mdsradio/info
    were we will post the WSA-ENLIL findings and send out "warnings" that Sporadic E is happening.

Have a great day and 73;

Alex - VE7DXW

2. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the 6 mtr. contact Alex on the 24th nice to see the great opening ! Hope the band is this good for the contest ! see you in the pile up hi hi 73 Phil KI6PMD ..

VE7DXW likes this.
  3. KK4HPY

KK4HPY Ham Member QRZ Page

10 meters wide open E-skip right now

VE7DXW likes this.
  4. THESPACEMAN

THESPACEMAN QRZ Member

10 has been opening a lot lately!! ;)

VE7DXW likes this.
  5. KD8TNF

KD8TNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Might be the best 6m opening since the fabled 1968 openings.

It's been four days, and only one of the contacts I made have confirmed, and lucky for me it was California, a rare hop for us in Ohio. Seems like a op has to twist arms to get any kind of CW SSB JT FM AM confirmation on six, and also on many bands. It is a little better with 6m JT65 , but not much, and much much worse for any simplex FM work. Why is this? I mention and ask for confirmations and get a bunch of hey wow yeah gee been meaning to get set up for that, and very few 6m cards over the years. I like to mix my metaphors, if you don't log it, it never happened, just another fish story for the grand kids someday. Such rare work ought to get memorialized.

I owe a few guys PSE QSL cards, otherwise you work my station, it gets confirmed fast.

VE7DXW likes this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But... It's not a prediction if you only tell us about it after the cow left the barn! ;)

Hindsight is 20 20 !

AK5B and VE7DXW like this.
  7. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same thought here. I'm also not seeing any correlation with this opening to actual recorded solar wind speed or density. During May 26, the solar wind speed was low and there were no density spikes.

VE7DXW likes this.
  8. WR2E

Although, they apparently send emails out to their group I surmise.

There's also a correlation between Es and unsettled frontal boundaries (thunderstorms, super cells)

So, can we correlate solar wind to thunderstorms too?

A=B
    B=C
    So A=C
    ???

AK5B and VE7DXW like this.
  9. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's worse than that. They're using a solar wind prediction to make a Sporadic E prediction. But the solar wind predication wasn't correct itself.

Also, Sporadic E is highly localized. For example, there was a huge opening on the east coast yesterday, but absolutely zilch here out west. If I get an e-mail alert, is it personalized for my location?

Using a global effect like solar wind to predict localized phenomenon seems unlikely to produce reliable results.

AK5B, VE7DXW, WR2E and 1 other person like this.
  10. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

If it gets people on 6 meters and contacts are made, does it matter how it was predicted? I've been on 6 meters this weekend and lighted up monitors over 1300 miles away (and this was from NW Oregon) and though there was activity some of the times a lot of the time there was nobody on. I was even getting out on 10 meters for quite a distance, but only a couple of contacts was made and very little other activity.

Maybe more people will get on as the word gets out that there are openings... at least we can hope.

Mike

AK5B, N4DJT and VE7DXW like this.
  11. VE7DXW

We actually predicted this one two days ahead....

Alex

12. WA3JR

WA3JR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Roger that. Generate awareness and things will happen.

13. KD8TNF

KD8TNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Roger that. Awareness is also generated through incidental use by others of DX FQ's with traffic. No internet space weather anything has or will replace real-time monitoring as the first and best instant report of workable conditions. Since there is very little left in commercial and safety comms on 29-50mhz low bands what one copies is primarily ham repeater ID and comms traffic. I use LMR's with dedicated antennas on 10 FM and 6 FM programmed with the standard simplex and distant repeaters FQ's to know when any combination of conditions makes possible DX comms on these FQ's. When weighed against this time proven method, the internet stuff is not nearly both accurate and real time enough to catch the here and gone conditions which happen on 10m-VHF-UHF. East and west continental DX propagation as received here in Ohio is another matter - The spotting networks are of very real benefit in that case. Checking or monitoring of WWV 25mhz is a good indicator, as another example.

I have not heard the Fort Sill gunnery range this season, wonder if they still are using 30.5 and 34.5mhz, which my Midland 10m FM radio includes in programming.

I marvel at how CB'rs seem better willing to take full advantage of any openings on 10-11m. CB monitored here has been jammed day and night while 10m has had proportionately few stations copied. It is a little unnerving how hams don't or won't do likewise, unless a contest is running. It ought to serve as proof hordes of technicians are not waiting for 10m openings to operate HF.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    WA3JR and AK5B like this.
  14. VE7DXW

I wish we all could just listen to 6m and make better conclusions on how it propagates...but since most people are on a schedule and only have one antenna the time spend on each band has to result into contacts, otherwise the interest fades.

It is also interesting to see which scientific phenomena can be connected to the magic band! Maybe we are able to find out what makes whisperers work...

Unfortunately we are so competitive - it is always about points....

Alex

WA3JR likes this.
  15. WR2E

Whisperers? What are those? Do you mean WSPR?