mcHF clones

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KB3GXE, Feb 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KB3GXE

KB3GXE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm very interested in the Recent RS-918 and supposedly the 2018 model has 1MB of memory allowing it to use the latest firmware.

I see there are two new models, the RS-978 and the RS-958B, which have internal batteries.

I heard there's a problem with the RS-928 Plus having a different oscillator which causes issues with firmware.

Does anyone know which oscillator is in the 978 and 958B? I've tried contacting the MFG and eBay seller, but haven't gotten a response.

Could anyone share their experiences with these radios?

2. N2UJZ

N2UJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I got an RS-918 with the battery from Mike K0JTA in the first week of December and I'm happy with it so far. I was about to get one from Ebay too but thought best to get a tested and set up unit, faster too. I have a 20M homebrew dipole on the porch and at first made a few SSB contacts. Updating the firmware using DFuse is easy. I also got the 1Mb version.

About 10 days ago I finally got the drivers right to operate FT8/ digital and I'm pretty surprised by the results. 400 contacts, 17 countries with just 10W. It gets a bit warm doing FT8 full power not too hot though. On mine the F1/menu button sticks a bit. no big deal though. I also got a 2nd backup battery my batteries are external but 1 is 20Ah. -Justin

3. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bear in mind they are not Clones, but a ripped off design from the one who developed the mcHF.

It's best to order the actual mcHF Here so the designer gets something for his efforts.

K5HS likes this.
  4. KJ6ZH

KJ6ZH Ham Member QRZ Page

I simply ordered a set of unpopulated boards from M0NKA for my RS-918.
    Boards will never be built / sold but I see it as my way of contributing to the effort.

5. AE4LH

AE4LH Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you ever come across a review of the RS-958B? I am only able to find 918 reviews. Thank you.