Mayday! FT-818ND SSB Filter Problem

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by WB1CDG, Oct 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. You shall henceforth be known as Upside-Down Filter Guy. :D

Don’t sweat it. Most of us have done worse. Lol!

KC7JNJ likes this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at tit this way - unlike many 'mistakes' on radio maintenance, this one did not release the dreaded magic smoke.

So, its all good as they say.

The filter does make a big difference in the radio. I dropped n a 300HZ CW filter in my -817 and man - it was like a new rig!

Best of luck going forward.

3. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

ohhhhhhh, no you don't!!!
    this is forever and always. gonna ride this hoss to eternity. maybe even farther.

4. W4ZNG

W4ZNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at it this way: if you ever want to work USB below 10 MHz or LSB above 10, you're ready to go.

WW2PT likes this.
  5. WW2PT

Or if you’re planning a DXpedition to the Southern Hemisphere... :D

W4ZNG likes this.
  6. WB1CDG

WB1CDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Great. I'm never gonna live this one (upside) down!
    At first, this 818 was frustrating. I wondered if my antenna was even connected. Couldn't make a contact worth a darn. Then I heard a CQ on 40 with maybe an S4 signal. Nobody answered the guy, so I did. Snagged an 800+ mile contact on about 1.5 watts output*, and he gave me a 5/9 signal report! This QRP stuff is like the lottery. Lots of disappointment but it's pretty cool when your number comes in! I think I'll keep it. :)
    WB1CDG

* I say 1.5 watts, because even though it was set on 6W, you don't get close to that on SSB, and my SWR bridge was telling me I was barely making a watt out on voice peaks.

WW2PT likes this.
  7. WW2PT

I’m not full-time QRP, but if I don’t already have the country or band slot confirmed I leave the rigs at 5w, and that’s most of the time these days. It requires patience, a lot of listening, a good understanding of propagation, and a lot of luck! My first QSOs were QRP, and it’s the same thrill today. Enjoy the 818!

8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Problem solved! Good news!