Maui?? Any hams there??

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W4PG, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
  1. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

So my XYL asks a loaded question like she's apt to do, "Wanna go to Hawaii?"

Now, this sounds like a no brainer. I mean, are you serious?? Turns out there is a big medical conference there she can learn some good stuff and meet some old friends. I say "SURE!" like it's a no brainer!! I'm thinking while she's conferencing, I'm gonna find a local club and do some DXing!!

I had NO IDEA that the conference was in Maui! Is there any reason to go to Maui?? I can't even find any hams there, much less much to do.

Before I bag this whole trip, much as I'd like to head to Hawaii, anyone out there can offer me any idea of whether there is a ham club in Maui that I could operate from?? Anything???

..............Bob

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

You stay home and work the radio. I'll go in your stead and just hang out on the beach.

Somebody has to do the difficult stuff now & then. ;)

3. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup

[​IMG]

4. N4CYA

N4CYA MODERATOR / DX HELPER MANAGER QRZ Page

5. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is/was a guy that used to advertise a place in Maui in the back of QST. I think it was seaq Maui or something like that. It may have been a B&B.

6. W7JZE

W7JZE QRZ Lifetime Member #84 QRZ Page

Bob, BOB, BOB!

"Can't find much to do"... In MAUI? Things to DO in Maui? OMG!

• Drive to the top of Haleakala. Watch the sunrise. If you are a bicycle nut, you can get a tour ride up, and bike down. Me? I drive. Sunrise from the top you WILL remember for the rest of your life and no, I am not exaggerating even a tiny bit.

• Take (drive) the road to Hana. Most picturesque road, maybe, in the world. Takes hours. Very windy. Charles Lindberg's grave-site is along the way. He lived in Hana until his demise.

• Lahina. Just go. Too many fun places to mention. Just go.

• Many of the spectacular hotels just north of Lahina on kaanapali beach have grand vista's and spectacular grounds. Go visit and eat at some of them. One of my favorite places to dine in the world is at the Grand Hyatt Hotel on Kaanapali beach. There is (was?) a restaurant there perched on the rocks above the huge hotel pool. Partly inside, partly outside. Outside had 7 or 8 tables. What used to be called "Table #1" was at the point of the rocks, overlooking the grand pool, surrounded by Hawaiian lushness where you could semi-privately watch the sun go down. Go eat there. At THAT table. If there was ever one time in your life to dig really deep and buy that very special bottle of champagne for you and your wife, it is there, at that hotel, at that table. Just do it and worry about the Visa card later. Really. Get really crazy and work with the Maître d'hôtel a few days earlier to get a great champagne pre-ordered and some special chef "off menu" ideas for just you and your wife that night. Yes, tip well when setting this up. It doesn't matter what it costs. You will probably only do this (have a chance to do this) once in your life... East-coaster that you are. The name of that restaurant has changed a few times over the years. Not sure of its current name. The one above the pool.

• Do you golf? No, I'd guess not or else you would not be asking "What do I do in Maui" :)

• Rent a jeep. Drive around the north end of the peanut shaped island. Takes an afternoon. Old light houses, secluded bays, spectacular wind / wave scoured beaches and cliffs. Drive slow. It was not all paved when I last did it. Your normal rental car insurance will NOT cover you on this (and other) "off road" trips. Rent a jeep special for this.

• Rent a convertible when you are there leave the top down when you drive. It rains there everyday (seems like to me) but it is mostly just a heavy mist. Leave the top down and drive through it.

• Go to the beach. Everyday. Try not to drool.

• If this conference / trip is only for a few days, leave the radio at home :)

Lemmie know if you need a local guide ;-) My rates are cheap!

Can't know what to do in Maui... Jeesch! :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  7. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, the guy has advertised in QST for years.

Just went to his website to check it out & see you need a password just to view his webpage................Absolutely asinine!!!

I wouldn't stay at this place for all the tea in China.

Tom KCØW

8. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I would agree fully with W7JZE's list and depending upon whether you are up to it go para sailing too....and while you are at it take the dive boat to the little offshore crater just off Kihei for either some diving or snorkeling. I have no idea of your age or physical condition but dropping some weight BEFORE you go is recommended for guys like me since you will easily gain it with the delicious luau food even if you don't do the umbrella drinks.

As for ham radio, on my last trip (some years ago) we stayed in the 6th floor of a beachfront condo in Lehina. From the balcony with a wire draped over the railing using a qrp radio I worked the world while I gazed out at a pod of whales just outside the surf line.

If you can't get motivated to go to Maui with all due respect I suggest you go see your cardiologist! Have fun

9. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All I'll add to that is, watch the whales cruise the Lahaina Roads. That's the patch of water between Maui and Lanai, from Molikini Reef to the waterway between Maui and Molokai. You'll easily see them blow and breach from shore. Then try to get close enough to hear what it sounds like when they exhale.

10. K8GU

K8GU Ham Member QRZ Page

I forget the Sea-Q Maui guy's name and call...PM or e-mail if you're interested and I'll dig up his contact info. He was still active when I was in Maui in 2008 because I considered staying with him (it was also a work trip) but he exceeded the lodging per diem. My advice is to just bring along a radio and stick a vertical on the beach.

It is a beautiful place with plenty to explore or do. Even without a radio, I could spend a week on Maui just exploring Haleakala NP alone.

11. W4PG

LOL!! :cool:

OK, I figured someone 'round these parts would know much more about this than me!! I just assumed if we're going to HI we'd stay on the Big Island at least!! Little do *I* know!!

I don't plan on taking a radio, just was considering whether or not a club or some such might be there that had a station set up for maybe one afternoon of playing radio. No big deal! And YES, I do play golf, but I'm a bit rusty at the moment. I was thinking of renting some type of vehicle and exploring while the wife is meeting, so will do that.

Maybe I should just type MAUI in Google and see what's up, eh?? :confused:

Thanks for the good tips!!

................Bob

12. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We've been to the Aloha State several times, to all the major islands except Lanai, Kahoolawe and Nihau. IIRC, you need to have Hawaiian blood in your veins to even visit Nihau -- but that's pretty old info, something might have changed.

But we've been to the other five main ones, and they're all amazingly different. Even the WX patterns are different. XYL likes Kauai about the best. Oahu has the bustling business activities and of course the largest city by far (not much different from Miami except it has mountains); the Big Island has the biggest mountains and the observatories, WX stations, ham radio beacons and all that jazz; Maui is gorgeous and if you're feeling energetic, sign up for the Haleakala biking experience (we took the tourist mini-bus to the top and biked down -- sounds easy -- it's actually work and takes quite a while).

Never operated from Maui, but a friend and neighbor of mine has: Dave, WA6DKN. Actually, he and his XYL visit Hawaii probably once a year and have for several years, and I've worked Dave while he was there visiting every single island they've visited, including little Molokai. Dave tells me the large hotels generate too much RFI to hear much when you're near them, so what he does is rent an SUV and brings his IC-7000 and some mobile antennas with wire for radials. He drives a few hundred yards away from the hotel to a clear area, parks, and sets up -- and then operates from there. On Molokai, he operated from the deck of his rental house and didn't resort to mobile operation, since they were in a private house and not a big RFI-generating hotel.

Pic of Dave operating from the deck at Molokai. He was 59 on 17m from there, we chatted a few times during that trip.

Attached Files:

13. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a lot more than that. Search in qrz.com callsign database for "maui" as the county - over 300 difference licenses listed.

14. KA3JLW

KA3JLW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can kinda see why he'd do that. I wouldn't put up a webpage that shows the inside of my home, brags about how good the electronics are, AND is easily traced back to my street address. For instance, here on the Zed our bios are protected behind the site login so a random visitor only sees the address. It isn't Brinks but it isn't wide open to the public either.

The guy only asks for your callsign/QTH so he can confirm you're a ham before showing you the money shots. Not everyone who has a rental QTH does it, but I'd actually appreciate knowing the QTH wasn't target practice if I were staying there for, say, a week.

FRED and QRZ.com Mods: Business Opportunity: set up separate pages that are like the ham bio pages but are for the station/QTH itself, where the station might be rented by others. Charge for them and tout that they are behind the login but open to virtually all hams. It would be nice to have a central place to browse such QTH's instead of random searches on the web. The callsign holders could link to them in their bios, as could other hams if they wish.

15. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Maui County also includes the Big Island...Hilo.
    I have been to Hawaii 7 times.
    1st time for 25th anniversary (no Radio).
    Been to Oahu (Honolulu etc) Maui , Kauai, the Big Island. all different. all beautiful, all with more things to see and do than time to do it.
    The last 6 times were (claimed) to see my middle son who was in the US Navy.
    He spent his entire enlistment years at Pearl Habor and an additional year as a civilian employee doing essentially the same job at the exact same desk .
    He knew the "out of the usual tourist areas" to see on Oahu.
    I took a VHF hand-held, on one of my trips, and talked to some locals and some tourists on a local repeater and simplex freqs.
    Made one simplex QSO 250 miles from the peak of Mauna Kea, on the big Island, to Oahu.
    I would advise any one , whatever your interest is in fishing, photography, history, golfing, snorkling, diving, mountain biking, hiking, volcanos, rare tropical flora and fauna, or just going to see Many diverse, and most beautiful sites, In the country, GO !

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  16. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know but that was easier to fit into a screen shot!

17. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be there next Tuesday for a week. I'll let you know what I find :) Taking KX3, paddles and some wire.

18. W4PG

Plane leaves at 7:30 AM in the morning. Stop in ATL then direct from there to Honolulu. One LONG flight!!

Taking the handi-talkie and plan a little action on 2 meters as time permits. Maybe I'll try and post a picture or two.

.............Bob

19. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Here today, gone to Maui!"

Have a good trip.

20. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, WHAT A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the Vacation of a lifetime, Bob!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.