ad: elecraft

Marshall Island and Amelia Earhart's SOS transmissions-sending again

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K1YTG, Dec 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I already went down the assuming part with Mr. Cohen. He insists that it is an illegal activity because of the call used. Maybe he is right, maybe he is wrong.
    But really...who cares if it is or isn't?!

2. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

The transmissions will be made from the Marshall Islands, any legality is between the people making the transmission and the government of the Marshall Islands, none of the transmissions will be on ham radio frequencies so the FCC is out of the picture. If you choose to listen to the transmission you are not breaking any laws, so listen or not, your choice. I think some people really need to get out in the fresh air more often.

Bill

KG7LEA, AE4DL and WG7X like this.
  3. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

The license is not listed in the FCC database. And all he did was ask them to prove they have a license. He did not claim anything. Since KHAQQ is not a standard U.S. callsign now, I would think that is an appropriate question.

4. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to tell that to Mr. Cohen too but he insists that it is still an illegal operation.

5. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep! There's one person in particular on this forum that has their head firmly inserted in a place that was never intended for their head..........Who cares, listen or don't....

KM4NOW likes this.
  6. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

It is an illegal operation if they are using a U.S. call sign without the approval of the FCC. It doesn't matter where they are operating from.

W1YW likes this.
  7. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

People who care about the law do.

W1YW likes this.
  8. NY0V

NY0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the USA is in the middle of the day, there is no way anyone will hear you on 3 or 6MHz...regardless of summer/winter or 1937 SFI/A/K vs 2016. She was running 50watts of AM into an 11 ft piece of wire with what amounted to a "V" capacitive top hat. I did run the K6TU reverse prop charts. At that time of day, maybe you can reach JA... Have fun with the experiment from V7 land. Tom/NY0V

K0PV/SK2023, W2AI, W9XY and 1 other person like this.
  9. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Who's law? Marshal Islands or U.S.
    Why are some assuming it is a illegal operation?
    If I give my call followed by / 123456... is that illegal?

10. WB6FQZ

Billy Barnes was killed in his P-51 near Fox Field before I was flying but Mrs. Barnes was in the lobby of Barnes Aviation on the morning of my check ride. She had tears in here eyes because
    Now that i have done some research I see that Billy died in his P-51 near Fox field before I was a pilot.
    The morning of my check ride I entered the lobby of Barnes Aviation. Mrs. Barnes was there with tears in her eyes. It was January 28, 1986 and the shuttle Columbia disaster had just happened.
    What a sad day for America.
    BTW...You can check this out. Mike Grimes was the FAA examiner, it was Jan 28, 1986 and I was flying N60307. The flight plan was TSP direct WJF.

11. K8QER

K8QER Ham Member QRZ Page

The PO's message say that they will begin the broadcast using Earharts original call sign. It doesn't say they will use that
    call sign as their transmitting call sign, it may be used only in the text.

12. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This sounds like a fun and interesting endeavor. Adding it to my ham radio calendar- I hope to be listening for your transmissions! Good luck!
    Clifford <---- ignoring all the naysayers and negativity.

13. WB6FQZ

Yes.....exactly.......FQZ

14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Anybody with a rudimentary knowledge and experience with HF DX propagation can see the implausibility of any such signal being heard so far into the USA mainland at that time from that remote location. There is only the most unlikely explanation; that it was a higher frequency harmonic that was propagated. Of course, that signal would have been with MUCH less power (?)

Watch this video produced by Discovery and promoted by TIGHAR, the same group that Les Kinney the alleged producer of this event is connected.

I find it odd they are not describing how they intend to reproduce the original signal. I doubt they will use a WE 13C xmtr, probably something else modern, with 50w AM (?) Using an antenna like that on the Lockheed 10E? That's not a whole lot of EIRP!

OR, are they gonna "fudge" a little, more QRO, full size vertical over water, just to get some reception reports hmmmm? And, they are not even testing the "harmonic" theory ...

It's just a (badly produced) scam to promote the next generation of commercialized Earhart pseudo-history !

73 de John - WØPV

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    K0PV/SK2023, W7UUU, W2AI and 3 others like this.
  15. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Show me where KHAQQ is a valid U.S. call sign.