ad: CQMM-1

Marshall Island and Amelia Earhart's SOS transmissions-sending again

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K1YTG, Dec 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That was my point exactly.

Instead of circumstantial evidence and hearsay, the facts need to always be examined objectively.

In this case I don't see enough evidence to accept a date of "SHOWA 10" as definitive proof of anything.

AC0OB likes this.
  2. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Print first, fact-check later, maybe, if someone complains. Otherwise, sell the sensationalism of rewriting history, truth be damned.

WR2E likes this.
  3. AK1M

AK1M Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree. Focusing on facts: (1) the location is certain; (2) the exact date is unknown, but there is a reasonable date range; and (3) it's not possible to positively identify any people in the photo. So, at least one unanswered question remains: How common was it, in this time frame, at this particular port, in this remote Pacific island atoll, to find a freighter towing a barge carrying what certainly appears to be a twin engine airplane missing its left wing? Now I'm speculating, but did this really happen more than once?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  4. WR2E

Excellent...

The idea that an ink stamp from 1935 appears on page 5 of this loose leaf collection of pages arranged into an 'album' (we shouldn't really call it a book) means that ALL the pages are from the same time frame is a stretch. How long did that album kick around before the library got it? Alot can happen in 80 years.

As Mythbusters might say, "It's PLAUSIBLE" that the individuals in the photo are Earhart and Noonan, but because of the conflicting date stamp there is some doubt.

The album isn't PROOF of anything.

5. WR2E

Yes, btw, I did. That and more.

6. WR2E

Agreed that it certainly does "appear to be". But it could also be something else... Don't know what, but the pic is old, out of focus, etc.

7. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I found that out last night via the local news. I was going by the story recently that first posted the theory that she landed in the Marshalls. I had not yet been advised of it. SO IS it is, is it ain't? We still don't know. As of 1937, it was still 4 years until Pearl Harbor.
    How much hostility was there between the US and Japan in '37? The materials embargo didn't take place until 40-41. So why would Japan accuse Amelia/Fred of spying given the trip was (I figure) well-publicized? Since much of their trip was over water, how much "spying" could they do? ' Woulda made more sense, IF they landed in the Marshalls, to give 'em fuel and send 'em on their way.
    Were the Japanese so "touchy" that they were shot down as an unidentified aircraft? Or DID they, as originally theorized, ditch in the sea after missing Howland Island and running out of fuel? We STILL don't know.:confused:

8. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

The source of the photo was reported to be the Japanese. It is still possible for the info to be bogus. What if the Japanese DO have something to hide? What if they DID 'disappear' Amelia and Fred, and now just don't want to risk criticism, even at this late date?
    Somebody somewhere *may* know what happened to them.

9. AD4XV

AD4XV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you watch the show, several of the items you ask about were addressed. They didn't land on the island they thought they were landing on, more like crash landed, we already had tensions with Japan, and the USS Panay was bombed by Japan during it evacuating American citizens from Nanjing, killing three in late 1937. I am not saying the show was all fact, but very interesting and possible. Check out the show, you will get most of the questions you mentioned answered, in some form.

10. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I found the show to be interesting. They did their research, even if some don't agreev with the results.

The USS Panay was sunk by the Japanese military, who later claimed they didn't know it was American. The photos taken back then show a large US flag. ThePanay had 2 machine guns. Not much armament, but the old river patrol boats weren't well armed.

11. W2MYA

W2MYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Dr Chip:Hw have bn om? Well it's unfortunate that this experiment didn't gel.Perhaps if it was better funded by
    say the Smithsonian Institute or National Geographic with some proper guidance and greater funding
    something could have been determined as to their being lost and MIA. Perhaps some day we will all
    know.
    Respectfully, Gregory L.Mitchell-W2MYA

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

New data. Motivation for another "Earhart DXped" from a different QTH? :rolleyes:

"This analysis reveals that Earhart is more similar to the Nikumaroro bones than 99% of individuals in a large reference sample. This strongly supports the conclusion that the Nikumaroro bones belonged to Amelia Earhart."

http://journals.upress.ufl.edu/fa/article/view/525/519

73, John, WØPV