ad: portazero-1

Marshall Island and Amelia Earhart's SOS transmissions-sending again

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K1YTG, Dec 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K1YTG

K1YTG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, my name is Les Kinney and I am a retired federal agent and historical researcher. I am part of a group that will be traveling to a remote atoll in the Marshall Islands in mid-December. Our research concerns the theory that Amelia Earhart ran out of gas and landed wheels down next to a small island at Mili Atoll. There were three local natives who witnessed this landing during the late morning of July 3, 1937. We have found aircraft artifacts on this small island which we believe may have come from Earhart's Lockheed 10E.

We also believe Earhart broadcast distress messages that were heard for the next several days. These voice transmissions were heard by the U.S. Coast Guard, Navy, three Pan Am listening stations and several radio listeners in the United States, Canada, Nauru, and Australia. Unfortunately, because of atmospheric conditions, most likely caused by thunder storms, most of the messages were garbled and unreadable. Several radio listeners believed they heard Earhart speaking. Most heard a word or two; some a sentence or more. Some thought they heard partial latitude and longitude coordinates. None heard Earhart report she was at a specific geographic location except one. That person was Nina Paxton, a registered nurse from Ashland Kentucky. Nina had a new Philco console radio and said she heard Earhart around 2 pm Eastern Standard Time on Saturday July 3rd, 1937. Nina reported Earhart saying they were down on a little island at Mili Atoll. Amelia mentioned her navigator, Fred Noonan, was hurt, they were almost out of gas and warned they couldn't stay there long.

Earhart's Lockheed Electra was equipped with a 50 watt Western Electric model 13C transmitter. Earhart would have had to have one engine running to transmit. For a variety of technical reasons, she would have likely been transmitting on 6210 kilocycles high on the AM band which was her day time frequency. There is a remote chance she was broadcasting on 3105 kilocycles her night time radio frequency.

We would like everyone's help. We are going to attempt to duplicate that 1937 transmission from this remote island. We will use Earhart's identifying call sign of KHAQQ to begin the broadcast. We will broadcast twice: at 12:30 pm or 1230 hours Eastern Standard Time (EST) and again at 1:00 pm EST or 1300 hours on two successive days, December 15, and 16th, 2016.

The first broadcast will be on 6210 kilocycles and will last for one minute. We will repeat the message twice, two minutes apart. After the third transmission on 6210 kilocycles, there will be a three minute pause and we will then broadcast the same message on 3105 kilocycles for one minute, three times, with a two minute delay after each message.

We know this is a long shot. We can't duplicate the atmospheric conditions from July 1937 and there is so much more RF interference in 2016. But it is worth a try. We are asking everyone having a receiver capable of listening to this broadcast to tune in on these frequencies. Whether you have an old 1930's radio, or a modern radio with short wave capabilities, keep your cell phone cameras and video cameras ready to capture the moment. Flash the camera on your set and then to yourself while you record our broadcast. If you're lucky enough to pick up the transmission, you will likely get five seconds of fame on a future TV documentary.

If you do receive our Earhart recreated broadcast and capture the message on your cell phone camera or camcorder, call us on site in the Marshall Islands via satellite phone. That number is: 011-881-651-463-951.

Please pass this message on to any other radio groups, forums, or interested friends.

Schedule: December 15, and 16, 2016

6210 Kilocycles: 12:30 pm – 12:32 pm – 12:34 pm (All times EST) +5 for GMT

3105 Kilocycles: 12:37 pm – 12:39 pm – 12:41 pm

6210 Kilocycles: 1:00 pm – 1:02 pm – 1:04 pm

3105 Kilocycles: 1:07 pm – 1:09 pm – 1:11 pm

Les Kinney

lgkinney@yahoo.com

KG5EXW, KI4QAC, WA9RAY and 11 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Please show us:

1) the license you have obtained to make these transmissions (note: KH is a US license callsign);
    2) why you believe this snapshot of the present solar cycle/ propagation is a close or exact replication of the 1937 conditions. BTW July prop ain't Dec prop, even with the same SFI and A, K. The solar cycle in July 1937 is nothing like the present state.

The issue isn't interference--its propagation. Why don't you know this?

Unless you have both 1 and 2, I don't see how the amateur radio community should assist, as you will have proved nothing and done so illegally to boot.

Finally, I have concerns, IMO, that you are trying to use the amateur radio community to sell a book, TV show, and so on. There is a cottage industry on Earhart stuff. Like mermaids, bigfoot, Mothman, etc.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    AE7IE, W0KTL and W2KG like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in Belmont MA, home of Brad Washburn (deceased). Many years ago, I saw him at the barber shop and asked him about Earhart, who he knew well. In a nutshell, he said that 'if I chose to be her co pilot, she would have made it'. By that he meant that neither she nor Noonan had the navigational nor radio skills needed.

Look up Bradford Washburn.

K8PG likes this.
  4. WA7WJR

WA7WJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Earhart's story has always intrigued me. But, my question is if she ran out of gas how did she have one engine running to transmit?

5. KQ2P

KQ2P Ham Member QRZ Page

6210 kilocycles high on the AM band which was her day time frequency. There is a remote chance she was broadcasting on 3105 kilocycles her night time radio frequency. If you mean the AM broadcast band I think
    you have the decimal point wrong. Text copied from
    Amelia Earhart - Wikipedia
    What am I missing ?

6. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Nathan, maybe they are not trying to PROVE anything! I see it as a tremendous project that commemorates Earhart's flight. And how do you know they didn't get a license/permission? On your QRZ page you have a slogan, "TAKING RISKS,BEING CURIOUS, MAKING DISCOVERIES" What is your problem?
    I for one will be listening for Les's transmissions. This is very exciting!
    Chuck, WB6FQZ

AB8MA, W8SGS, K1TGX and 9 others like this.
  7. VE3ERQ

VE3ERQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

I would suggest that anyone researching Amelia Earheart make a visit to the Museum in Darwin Australia as they have a substantial collection of information and artifacts regarding her disappearance. They also have a nice B52 on display as this was an unknown base for same for many years.

Lloyd
    VE3ERQ

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no problem--with me.
    The issue is legality and validity.

To wit: "We will use Earhart's identifying call sign of KHAQQ to begin the broadcast." License?

The FCC data base does not reveal a license for same. If issued, it is recent--within a day or two. Where is it? I note the pirate radio data base DOES list KHAQQ as a 'seasonal pirate radio station'.

The propagation of July 1937 is not the propagation of December 2016. Apples and oranges.

So what would it mean to "hear something"? What would it reveal, suggest, or prove?

Look harder Charles.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  9. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you re-read the OP's statement he quotes someone saying that she was almost out of gas---not completely.

WIZZARD, KD4AYU, WB6CSH and 1 other person like this.
  10. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Why does he have to show you a license. You are not the FCC nor are you the licensing authority in the Marshal Islands. As far as propagation goes,. he has said he can't re-produce conditions just the broadcast and he is just looking for reception reports. So you can assist by just listening at the times and frequencies indicated.

K1TGX, KI4QAC, KG5EXW and 14 others like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The use of KHAQQ as a callsign, unless issued in the last few days, is an illegal and pirated use of an FCC privilege. The Marshall Islands do not have authority to issue nor allow use of that callsign.

Are you saying we should celebrate illegal activity?

ReallY? I mean, think OM...14313....

NU4R likes this.
  12. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ lookup indicates that callsign K1YTG belongs to Norman Greene.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

So...The OP is not the radio amateur K1YTG.

Is someone bootlegging K1YTG's callsign?

14. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

What real difference is it to us if they don't have a license? Will not having a license keep people from listening?

I think if you are concerned about law breakers you should be more concerned about the CBer down the street from me who is running 10KW and splatters me across every band. Some bootlegger in the South Pacific is not going to bother me too much.

So are you suggesting that we not listen since the station might be illegal?

W1JAC and VE7DH like this.
  15. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe.

It could that the real K1YTG was just copying and pasting something from somebody else; i.e. posting something for Les Kinney.

Maybe the OP will return and explain how it came about that Les Kinney is using someone else's callsign.