ad: Flexradio-1

Maintain funding for NIST stations WWV and WWVH

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Aug 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

WA8MEA and AA1PR like this.
  2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "The rest of the world relies on either satellite signals or an internet connection for time synchronization."

Is that _all_ you think (or believe, I cannot, of course, tell which) that WWV/WWVH/WWVB are good for?

3. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me see. Time can be had accurately from sats and on the net, it is close enough for ham purposes. Frequency can be had from sats. Unless you own a standard. Propagation info can be had from plenty other sources. So it seems it is a nostalgia thing for a rather small population to keep it up on SW. WWVB does have utility outside of ham radio. I don't dislike WWV, I may sign the petition, but it is like when NAA on 3000 meters went away in 1956, lot of hams moaned about how it had been around since spark days, and had been useful for code practice, weather, news, etc. since they were kiddees, in the case that anyone could still receive it with the radios they still had in '56. How many SWLs left in the USA on top of hams? Hey maybe they can convince NPR to broadcast time checks at the top of the hour!

4. AA5CT

So, no cross-checks of your in house"standards" against a live, direct NIST source? The only checks you can make in a timely manner is your 'sat source' (assume a GPSDO) vs your in-house Rubidium standard? And, of course, the monetary expense for both (PLUS the operational expense, the AC power consumed, the square footage occupied inside the lab or home office) , and neither of which is still a direct compare with NIST ...

5. KI8W

KI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Dimension 4 to keep my entire network and computers on accurate time. I have not listened to WWV in years. Maybe it is old technology whose time has come.

KK4NA, G6YZC and WA8MEA like this.
  6. AA5CT

I hear Wal-Mart is a great place to shop, too.

7. W1SS

W1SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I figure if i'm going to pay taxes for a government operated public service, I actually want to get the service I am paying for.

WWV is no exception to this principle in practice.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    AK5B likes this.
  9. K7RQ

K7RQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Would this mean our "atomic" clocks would no longer get reset? There must be a gazillion of those in use by now.

KD8DWO likes this.
  10. K7RQ

K7RQ Ham Member QRZ Page

11. AA5CT

K7RQ, I think the context of the original quote has been somehow lost and we now have a non-sequitur in progress ...

12. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess we are all guilty of not reading every single post

13. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anybody care about this? www.usdebtclock.org

Every bit of government spending has a small group of people who say THEY WILL DIE if their funding gets cut.

Standard tactic for any government agency when threatened with budget cuts is to cut only things that will visibly hurt their customers. (I know this... I was a federal employee for 28 years.)

We are approaching $24T in "on the books" debt. I've seen more and more anecdotal evidence which suggests this is the point of no return.

I don't think anyone cares about accurate time and frequency down in Venezuela right now.

There's an unused part of a section in article 5 of our constitution which would get better results than any petition with internet signatures on it. (How many of those signatures were hacked and meddled and influenced by <insert some country here>?

I'm just hoping and praying the current administration is planning to do something about this after he's re-elected. The timing will be right.

I just wrote a quick Linux bash script to read the NMEA string off my handheld GPS unit and print out the time. This is accurate enough for my needs. Now to write an algorithm which takes this "1 pulse per second" and use it to make a local 10 Mhz oscillator as accurate as possible.

KK4NA and WA8MEA like this.
  14. AA5CT

re: "I just wrote a quick Linux bash script to read the NMEA string off my handheld GPS unit"

What business does the government have in launching GPS birds for civilian use anyway? I could see for military use, and that was the purpose initially (following on the heels of the Navy's satellite navigation system called TRANSIT). I think we spend FAR more on GPS than we do on WWV/WWVH/WWVB ...

15. AA5CT

re: "I don't think anyone cares about accurate time and frequency down in Venezuela right now."

Where's our military presently stationed around the world - any forces located off our shores?? Do we have any 'shipping' going on on the high seas with US-flagged vessels? How much of the continental US is reliably covered by cellular? How about internet service? Do we have 100% coverage yet (outside of quirky satellite phones that no normal person can afford)?

AK5B likes this.